RE: LS Lets start from the first sentence.

From: Lee Lawrence (LeeL@aspin.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 17:11:40 BST

> JON:
> IMHO, that first sentence "Lila didn't know he was here." offers a lot
> of scope e.g. for discussing the Pirsig's views on perception and
> solipsism. Anyone want to play?

As Freud once said sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I'm not sure that
ideas
of solipsism appear in lila. Sure later in the book Lila becomes catatonic
but is catatonia embracing a form of solipsism or is it simply a rejection
of
other people company and thinking? Lila's thinking before her breakdown
shows
her accepting the existence of other people readily enough.

> RICK:
> I'll play.
> IMHO, that first sentance is "simply" a rhetorical setup.... "Lila didn't
> know he was here." ----- The reader is already asking, "Who is Lila?",
"Who
> is he?", "Where are they???", "Why doesn't she know???" ----We are
already
> looking for answers, a great frame of mind to begin any Inquiry.

That seems a good answer to me.

Lee Lawrence
e-mail leel@aspin.co.uk

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org