LS Lila and Lilith - Hindu and Semitic myths

From: Jonathan B. Marder (marder@agri.huji.ac.il)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 21:46:44 BST

Hi all,
   Thanks Keith for letting this thread go on, though regrettably you're
probably right that
> we're nearing the end of fruitful discussion on it.

However, I'm reluctant to let Rick have the last word.

> RICK:
> Well, yeah... we can all attach almost any meaning to anything....
> But we have irrefutable evidence in this case. Pirsig has told us why
he
> chose LILA... for its sound (being lowbrow and sensual)---- those who
> proposed the Hindu origin were simply WRONG ...

I am quite prepared to believe that RMP initially chose the name "Lila"
for the reasons Rick gives.

I find it a little harder to accept that Pirsig was unaware of the
Hindu Lila when he chose the name.
In the book, he shows careful attention to the origins and roots of
certain words (RTA) - surprising that he overlooked doing the same with
the name "Lila".

However, I cannot believe that RMP remained unaware of the Hindu Lila
while his manuscript was being prepared for publication (a long process,
involving lots of discussion and careful reading by author and
publisher). Furthermore, I would be extremely surprised if RMP's
attention was not drawn also to "Lilith", the she-devil of Semitic
mythology (even more relevant to the Lila character). If Pirsig didn't
want his readers to make these connections, he should have changed
Lila's name to something else.

It's a pity that this thread has now degenerated into arguing about
Pirsig's conscious and unconscious intent. I had hoped that we might
learn something by exploring the myths themselves.

Jonathan

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org