Re: LS Program: Instant cloning

From: Magnus Berg (McMagnus@hem2.passagen.se)
Date: Sat Feb 06 1999 - 23:49:46 GMT

Hi Squad

It's been fun to see all different approaches to the program so far.
I must say though that I'm getting more and more convinced that an
exact copy is impossible.

Sure, we can make exact copies of all the four levels. Well, perhaps
not just yet but some day. The problem here is that we have to make
that copy by sampling each and every inorganic pattern in the body,
just as we do when we record a CD or shoot a movie. The problem is
that such a copy would be as static as Roger's jazz CD and Rick's
word processor. As Troy pointed out, we can't copy DQ, so the copy
will be all static.

Another thing, each sample of the original equals to a Quality
Event. If we are to extract every bit of information from that
original, we will objectify it during that time and disregard the
MoQ idea that both parts of the Quality Event act as subject from
its point of view.

Say we take inorganic samples of the original. This will consume the
quanta of those samples just as the gas molecules from the rice
cooking in my kitchen are consumed by my nose when it takes biological
smell samples of the rice. My gut feeling is that a human's "soul"
will also be consumed in that process, or rather, it will remain on
its side of the Quality Event, which from its point of view is the
subject side.

Capturing quanta without inorganic Quality Events? Is that possible?
Not so far anyway, and evidence indicate that they are notoriously
elusive. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is one example. Besides,
it requires a lower quantum level and I'm not sure we're ready for
that yet.

Jonathan said a most interesting thing the other day. You said:
> "teleportation" seems to be simply an unusual description of
> "conventional" transport.

It might sound like an anticlimax but it's actually not. Combine that
with some state-of-the-art quantum physics and we got ourselves a
wormhole. No need to sample anything, no need to disturbe the quantum
self, just move through the wormhole just as we move through
conventional space, (however that's done?).

The bottom line is, I don't think the MoQ allows us to copy a person.
The main reason is that explicit copying requires us to objectify the
person, we'd make an objective copy of the original, the self would
not be copied.

        Magnus

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org