Re: LS Program Cloning

From: Jonathan B. Marder (marder@agri.huji.ac.il)
Date: Sun Feb 14 1999 - 11:07:11 GMT

Hi LilaQs,

>Boone
>>Well, I'd really like for you to prove me wrong -- for some reason, I
>>just feel that we can't "copy" a human. Since I'm fairly new here,
>>forgive me if I'm just dumb. :-) Anyway, best wishes to all of you
>>(cloned or not).

Bruce D.
>The reason it *seems wrong* to you is because it is wrong. We are
talking about science fiction here. As I've been trying to point out it
is technically impossible to copy a body.

The thing is that one can only copy the "objectified" patterns. There's
a choice involved. For instance, one would assume that it is important
to exactly copy the DNA sequence, but is it important to clone also the
exact position of each hair, and of each dissolved molecule. Where the
answer is "yes", what would be the required accuracy?
It seems obvious to me that one cannot create a "perfect" clone
absolutely identical in all respects. However, it might be possible to
produce something that is "good enough".

What it all boils down to is that MAN DECIDES if something is an
acceptable copy, and if it is to be valued like the original. It's a
Quality judgment.

Jonathan

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org