LS Angels on the MOQ

From: Bruce Dalton (broocie@hotbot.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 14:10:35 GMT

Hi gang

There seem to be two things going on this month. One is the principles or
Catechism of the MOQ. The other is the question of how to present it. To me,
that's two questions.

I'm in complete agreement with those who think that you can't just stick a
diagram up on an overhead and expect everyone to be amazed by it. On the
other hand I do think you also need to figure
out what you're trying to say before you open your month, and setting out
principles can help you sort it out in your own head firstl.

My 2c. Ways to present the MOQ

1. A form of Zen, ie Westerners do Eastern philosophy
2. A philosophy based on relationships between things rather than
subjects and objects
3. A basis for socio-political analysis
4. An ordinary language explanation of quantum physics and other weird
science phenomena
5. A personal development guide
6. A psychology of human mind and behavior
7. A continuation of mainstream American philosophy, in particular
William James' work
8. A solution to the world's moral crisis
9. A theory of evolution
10. All of the above

I'll bet the rest of the group can come up with more angles on it. It's no
wonder we have problems trying to say what it is! As soon as you say one
thing you exclude the others. And if all you do is wax lyrical, as has been
suggested, that's still saying something, (probably something not very
accurate either if all you do is get romantic). You can, of course, just
tell people to read the books, but sooner or later something new has to be
added otherwise they'll become old and static. Things need to evolve. Pirsig
has taken a big step forward. Other people need to build on that, and that's
how things get better. I don't know Pirsig, but from what he's written, he
doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants us all to throw flowers at
his feet and call him guru. We need to stop being intimidated by the MOQ and
start getting to grips with it.

Bruce

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com