Re: LS Dynamic and static

From: Carmen Flynn (theflynn@dynamo.com.ar)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 12:39:02 BST

Carmen Flynn wrote:

> Hola Ls,

[Here I plan to continue where I left last time:

> c) Dynamic Quality / static Quality, and the delicate balancing act they perform.]

1) Dynamic Quality / static Quality, and the delicate balancing act they perform.
Chapter 17 on Lila, Phaedrus visits one of the most Dynamic places on Earth, New York. He writes:
    ".......create a stable static situation where Dynamic Quality can flourish......
        In the abstract, at least. When you get to the particular it's not so simple.
    It seems as though any static mechanism that is open to Dynamic Quality must also be open to degeneracy - to falling back to lower forms of quality.
    This creates the problem of getting maximum freedom for the emergence of Dynamic Quality while prohibiting degeneracy from destroying the evolutionary gains of the past. Americans like to talk about their freedom but they think it's disconnected from something Europeans often see in America: the degeneracy that goes with Dynamic.
    It seems as though a society that is intolerant of all forms of degeneracy shuts off its own Dynamic growth and becomes static. But a society that tolerates all forms of degeneracy degenerates. Either direction can be dangerous. The mechanism by which a balanced society grows and does not degenerate are difficult, if not impossible, to define......'' Lila,
p 261, 262 chapter 17.

[Carmen]: {I know it is a very long quote, but I wanted to save you the trouble to go and get the book and search (just look how nice, I am being in this lovely saturday morning!).}.
That delicate balance that Pirsig talks about is very important. First the MOQ tells you that there is not division between Dynamic Quality and static Quality, that they are really one. Correct. The only reason we divide Quality is in order to understand it. Also correct. The connection I make here is that I see Dynamic Quality and static Quality in an eternal
Dance-Flow, one feeds from the other. It is like that old Law about Energy that tells us 'Matter is not created is only transformed' (La materia no se crea, solo se transforma), I don't remember the exact words.
Dynamic and static Quality, The two sides of the same coin.
Some members of the LS have at a given time have asked (at least, I have): How do I used all this knowledge about the MOQ to make a Difference over the short time that all my 'conglomerate of cells and energy' live in this planet a s a unit? I could choose to just do nothing, I am o.k., but I have a herd of lambs to shepherd (so to speak).
Time to get back to the herd. You'll have a nice weekend.

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org