Re: LS Righteousmess (ever jealous of your dog?)

From: Denis Poisson (Denis.Poisson@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 20:37:09 BST

Hi, LilaSquaders,

Hope you're doing good.
Well, I'm not sure this post is right on track but there are a few
things I wanted to add to the following post (I'll keep it short,
promise :)

B. Skutvik wrote:

> Yes, society causes fear and insecurities and all sorts of emotions
> (my hunch is that emotion IS the social level. Not its means of
> expression or anything like that - that division don't exist in the
> MOQ. Also that it makes us do wrong. There is of course a code of
> right and wrong for all the MOQ levels, but only at the social level
> is it recognized as MORAL by the SOM (or Intellect in my view).

Right Bodvar, the great discovery of the Eastern Philosophy (and its
re-discovery by RMP) was to expand that sense of morality to the whole
universe, and the big failing of its western counterpart to disregard it
completely.
But I don't really understand what you mean by emotion being the social
level. IMHO, emotions are part of the biological realm, and only people
that never had dogs or cats can really believe otherwise. Fear is the
most universal emotion in the living world, with anger as close second.
While I'll admit that mammals seem to have the closest emotional
connection to us, I won't overrule the possibility of insectile or
reptilian emotion (after all, we are only conscious of what we know
about, remember the 'green flash' in Lila ?)

What I see here is a confusion between the forces used by the social
level and the level itself. It is a bit like saying the biological level
is made of nuclear bonds. Of course, within the organism everything
still works with the same chemical rules that exists at the inorganic
level, but they are only the bricks of the house, not the house itself.

In the same way, society use fear to instill right behaviour (hey ! I've
managed to fall back on righteousness again ! Ain't that grand ?!) in
its members (constituents ?), but it also used words, repetitive
actions, teaching and so on... Fear is only the crudest nuclear bond in
that chain.

Well, I promised to keep it short, so that's all, folks !

Denis

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org