Re: LS Obtaining both sQ & DQ in real life

From: B. Skutvik (skutvik@online.no)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 17:07:13 BST

Lilacs and lurkers
Diana and David argues convincingly that a harmonious static and
dynamic existence is necessary for the good life. That clashes
seemingly with my warning of not playing with the dynamic aspect
unnecessarily, but these two views can easily be reconciled.

My argument is that lower levels presents no dynamism - no longer.
(there are no new elements, life or societal forms), the Intellectual
level is now the border to the dynamic hinterland, but it is as
always with borders - a ZONE. One may never approach it, one may go
near, or one may even trespass it, as Pirsig did. Diana's and David's
ideal position is to stay at a distance where SQ/DQ are of equal
influence.

Now along comes Roger (driving in his convertible) and declares that
the trick is to balance all the STATIC levels of one's being. He
adds "dynamic" for good measure and - okay - , because when
Roger cites the psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi as saying:

> "It does not involve loss of self, and certainly not a loss of consciousness,
> but rather, only a loss of consciousness of the self."

I agree heavily. It confirms the result of last month's labour:
Consciousness (of self) is Intellect while the lower are the all
pervading QUALITY, value, soul or whatever is the most sacred.
When the value focus moves from Intellect on to the lower levels we
are "healed" from Intellect's S/O wound, it's bliss to revert to
the safety of the lower levels (social fanatism: the holy scriptures
and their interpreters [Ayathollas] have all the answers; I am
relieved. Or to Biological lust, or even to Inorganic oblivion
(suicide), but it's at the Intellect where the dynamic action is.
There's no way back .....except forward following Pirsig's trail.

Bo

["Quality isn't IN the eye of the beholder.
 Quality IS the eye of the beholder".
 (Platt Holden)]

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org