LS CALL FOR VOTES SEPTEMBER 99

From: Diana McPartlin (diana@hongkong.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 02:24:09 BST

Squad

Time to cast your votes. Pls reply to this post stating your choice from the suggestions below. You've got one vote each, and remember even if you suggested one of these topics you still have to formally vote for it.

Voting closes at 24:00 GMT on 31 Aug

tks

Diana

1. (Avid Anand)

My suggested topic is "WHAT IS THE BEST FORM OF A SPQ [Static Quality Pattern]". As we know Pirsig makes the primal cut between SQ and DQ. However immersed as we still are in old SOM, we continue to think in its terms. It is hard
for us to see/imagine/feel the building stones of MoQ, it cannot be subjects and object, but it should somehow contain them, but how? What is the best "brick" [SPQ] to build MoQ from? How does it reflect the primary of the experience of quality? How does this "brick" [SPQ] relate to the 4 layers?

2. (Bodvar Skutvik)

Seen in the light of the MOQ, what is it that is described in the last part of ZMM (The Greeks). Is it the emergence of SOM, the"coming of age" of the Intellectual level, or...?

3. (Kevin Sanchez)

 i suggest we discuss pragmatic implementations of the metaphysics of quality in the thinking space of the social/political + specifically, how does it concieve.of/ operationalize social agency? and how does it approach matters of (governmental?) policy? - pirisigs' works have much to contribute to philosophies of laws, revolution(aries), economics, free will.vs.determinism, etc. which have tremendous implications for policy-making + let us systematize these meandering (?) political thoughts into one style of thinking + (warning: i'm not suggesting specific stances on political matters; only specific ways of concieving/analyizing/valuing political questions)

4. (Jonathan Marder)

"Lila" is Hinduism's dance of the divine.
"Lilith" is a mythical temptress (Babylonian and Hebrew mythology)

Rigel and Capela are both ancient names given to stars (the atsronomical type, not celebraties).

Is Pirsig deliberately alluding to ancient myths? Are there more of them hiding in his novels?

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org