RE: MD Sophocles not Socrates

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 02:27:19 GMT

    Sam concluded an overview of the MOQ with...
    A culture is a combination of social and intellectual patterns of value. The
    twentieth century can be seen as a struggle between social patterns of value
    with differing degrees of intellectual control. For the first time there are
    now societies where intellectual patterns of value are able to flourish. The
    big political question is whether the social patterns which sustain that
    flourishing can also maintain themselves against the biological patterns
    which threaten to devour them. That will probably be the struggle of the
    twenty first century.

    dMB says:
    The 21st century has arrived and so far its alot like the 20th century, only
    faster. I know, you're just speculating about the future, but I have to take
    issue anyway. It closely resembles the piture Pirsig paints of our recent
    history, but I think its off in a couple of important ways.

    You depict the 20th century as "a struggle between social patterns of value
    with differing degrees of intellectual control". Oh, so close. Pirsig
    dipicts it as a struggle between third and fourth level, but you seem to
    want to fudge this with a clash between differing social patterns. The
    individuals involved in these conflicts are certainly composed of various
    mixtures of these patterns. Each of is a forest. There are examples of
    intellectually dominated people, of socially dominated people, and even of
    biologically dominated people. Hopefully, we are each some combination of
    all these. But in modern politics, the average collective level of
    development is such that the battle is between social and intellectual
    values. Intellectual values are not just frosting on the social patterns, at
    least not anymore. That's how the Victorians saw it, though. They thought,
    "intellectuals were supposed to decorate the social parade, not lead it."
    Which leads to the next point so naturally that it hardly needs any further
    explanation. You said, "for the first time...intellectual patterns are able
    to flouish." Lead. Lead. LEAD! Not flourish! Lead! Direct. Control. Guide.

    Sorry for yelling. I got carried away. The third and final objection...

    Social patterns can handle biology. They accomplished that ages ago. Your,
    "big political question" is same issue Pirsig raises. As you may recall, in
    Lila this problem is described as intellect ganging up with biology to catch
    the social level in a crossfire. (Isn't Tucker Carlson just adorable?) More
    specifically this mistake is attributed to SOM's confusion about biology and
    the flawed view of crime that results. This sounds simple, but please ponder
    this; The flaw that puts the social in the crossfire is not the central
    struggle, it is the cause of the central struggle. That is to say, if the
    intellect properly understands social values and their role in handling
    biology, the conflict is reduced. Reactionary politics are the manifestation
    of social values in a desperately defensive mode, like narcissistic rage on
    a collective level. See what I mean?

    Thanks,

    dmb