Re: MD Pantheism and MOQ

From: Spengler (mspengler@swt.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 18:53:17 GMT

    Hello All,
            I'm a newbie and I'll admit that it's been a while since I last read Lila. I'm rereading ZAMM at the moment (along with a lot of others things, so the going is slow) and Lila is next, of course.
            I was moved to write, however mistaken I might be and however I might be bucking the established thought of the list in general, because this struck me as an unfortunate interpretation of the MOQ framework. I don't think Phaedrus meant to imply that biological patterns of value (that is, your "little furry animals") have less worth than intellectual patterns. His levels in the hierarchy, I believe, refer to their relative proximity to the initial Quality event. That is to say that thoughts cobbled together from direct experience (intellectual patterns of Quality) are closer to the event than response to the world that have been encoded into our DNA(organic patterns of quality).
            The purpose of the MOQ, or indeed any system of metaphysics, is to provide a framework that will allow cogent discussion of the nature of reality. When we name the properties of an object, we are safely in the realm of physics (however chaotic that realm might be currently). But when we step back to discuss what it means have properties or the nature of properties, we are into the realm of metaphysics. The goal is, then, the impossible task of arriving at the true nature of reality. Phaedrus would have it, and I'm sure we all agree, that Quality is the source of all things. Since Quality exists before perception, we can't ever directly experience it. Thus, the varying levels of quality patterns.
            Of course, my recollection might be a bit hazy and anything I said might be way off base. Let me know.
                                                                                                                                                    Spengler