Re: MD Pantheism and MOQ

From: Steve Peterson (speterson@fast.net)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 19:05:42 GMT

    Peter writes:

    > If static patterning is extruded from the cutting edge of Dynamic Quality,
    > then all static patterns are the result of moral choice. That says to me that
    > although DQ is no thing, every thing owes its being to DQ. Therefore, DQ is in
    > everything, which is close to a pantheistic belief that God is in everything?

    The pantheistic belief is not that God is in everything (that is
    panENtheism). Pantheism posits that God is everything. This is the
    distinction that I've been trying to make.

    Peter says : "...every thing owes its being to DQ. Therefore, DQ is in
    everything..."

    Steve says: Hmmmm...
    I think you are making an unjustified leap, and I don't think that it's a
    correct interpretation of the moq.

    Quality is the One. The Everything. Un-definable and Indivisible, but
    Pirsig decides to divide it anyway into static and dynamic. Under this
    division every'thing' is a static pattern of quality and no'thing' has
    Dynamic Quality in it. This is the either/or distinction that the moq
    makes, for better or worse. Quality is a monism but as soon as we make the
    static/dynamic cut we are talking about a dual reality where pantheism could
    only include one part. Panentheism deals better with the dualism.

    A pantheism idea of Quality would hold that only static patterns are all
    there are, while panentheism leaves room for DQ.

    Steve