Re: MD levels

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 21:32:47 GMT

    Hi Steve, Sam:

    > Platt says:
    > > you may want to acknowledge that in the MoQ the "highest good"
    > > is not intellect but Dynamic Quality, "the Quality of freedom . . ." (9)

    > Platt and all,
    >
    > Can you help me out? What are we talking about when we discuss the levels?
    >
    > They are levels of ______. Can you fill in the blank or explain?
    >

    > Levels of awareness?
    >
    > Types of patterns?
    >
    > Ways of valuing?

    They are levels of Quality, value, morality, goodness. Thus, the
    biological level is better than the inorganic, the social better than the
    biological, the intellectual better than the social, and the Dynamic the
    best of all, the creator of all the other levels.

    Contrary to Sam's assertion that in the "MoQ scale of values . . . it
    presents the intellect as the highest good . . ." Pirsig says in Chap. 15:

    "From the cells' point of view sex is pure Dynamic Quality, the highest
    Good of all."

    From our point of view the highest Good is the Quality of freedom:.

    "What's good is freedom from domination by any static pattern . . ." (24)

    Also contrary to Sam's assertion that DQ "does not fit into any
    intellectual system," the MoQ intellectual system could not exist
    without it.

    While DQ cannot be defined, it can be described. To say it can't be
    defined is to admit you already know something about it. Pirsig
    describes it frequently in Lila as a force " . . . pulling the pattern of life
    forward to greater levels of versatility and freedom." (11).

    Finally, my "addition" to the MoQ is to claim that the levels represent
    increasing levels of awareness (consciousness) and that mystic union
    with Dynamic Quality produces total awareness, similar to Wilber's
    description of the effect of great art: It "dissolves ego in nondual
    consciousness, and to that extent is experienced as an epiphany, a
    revelation, a release or liberation (freedom) from the tyranny of the
    separate self sense."

    Platt