RE: MD Pantheism and MOQ (also MD Jesus?)

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 21:23:22 GMT

    Sam and all pantheistic jesus freaks:

    dmb says:
    You might have guessed that I'd have two cents to throw in on this one. It
    explains quite alot about your perspective. You've come clean, even if it
    was done inadvertantly. Now its clear to me what you're up to.

    Sam said:
    So: I would say that the Christian scale of values is in conflict with the
    MoQ scale of values. Why? Principally that it presents the intellect as the
    highest good, and therefore, if the MoQ is compatible with Christianity,
    then Jesus is seen primarily as a teacher of intellectual truths which
    dynamically transform the understandings of those who accept them, and
    thereby they attain salvation; revelation is the communication of saving
    information. If you understand correctly, then you will be saved.

    dmb says:
    The MOQ says no such thing. Plus you're confusing Einstein and Christ,
    intellect and mystical knowledge. Christianity is seen in several ways in
    the MOQ. It depends on exactly what kind you're talking about. Obviously,
    the churches are static social level institutions. But the Brujo's situation
    and the discussions about contrarians both shed light on Jesus as an agent
    for dynamic cultural change. Then there's mention of Pirsig's favorite
    christian mystic, Meister Eckhart, bolstered by all that talk about
    mysticism and the difference between bishops and saints. He also describes
    religious figures such as Christ as abosorbing karmic garbage. Every form of
    Christianity can be described in MOQ terms and Pirsig touches on it in lots
    of different ways. But if the question is about the MOQ's compatability with
    mainstream Christian theology, the answer is, "clearly not".

    Sam said:
    Christian fundamentalism is a modern variation of ancient gnosticism.

    dmb says:
    Better not say that to a fundamentalist or a gnostic. Either one is likely
    to sock you on the nose. Gnosticism is much closer to the ancient mystery
    religions and is approximately the opposite of fundamentalism, with its
    literalistic beliefs about sin and forgiveness, heaven and hell. The
    emphasis in Gnosticism is on knowlege, but not of the intellectual variety.
    Its comptemplative and mystical.

    Sam said:
    Gnosticism was rejected by the early church for very good reasons, largely
    that it rendered Jesus' life incoherent and denied the reality of the
    Incarnation. ...And this embodiment cannot be abstracted from his life: his
    teachings cannot be understood apart from his actual human existence, in all
    its biological and social vicissitudes. Crucially, the crucifixion is a real
    death.

    dmb says:
    The reality of the incarnation? This strikes me as a kind of literalism and
    mythic thinking. I think its safe to say that death and resurrection is the
    most common motif in all the world's myths. (Orpheus again.) His teaching
    can not only be understood in the abstract, they are BETTER understood in
    the abstract. By comparing Jesus death and resurrection to other mythic
    heros the meaning of it becomes much richer. Its universality becomes
    apparent and adds to its depth and profundity. And, ironically, this broader
    perspective makes it easy to see that this motif is not some one-time
    historial event for us to marvel over, but as a vital personal message about
    one's own inner life.

    Sam said:
    ........(The gnostic understandings, if they address the crucifixion at all,
    downplay its significance hugely. After all, how can contemplation of human
    suffering help to articulate intellectual truth?) Indeed, the whole language
    of embodiment (ie Incarnation) is incoherent from the gnostic perspective.
    The flesh cannot attain salvation. Which rules out the resurrection of the
    body, of course...

    dmb says:
    Resurrection of the body? There you go taking myths literally again, but I
    won't beat that horse anymore. (sorry, Horse.) Your question is telling.
    "How can contemplation of human suffering help to articulate intellectual
    truth?" I don't know if it can be answered, but it reveals an assumption
    about intellectual truth. You seem to imply that the intellect is oblivious
    to human suffering, but as I understand it nothing has done more to reduce
    human suffering. That was the motive after the slaughter of WW1. Futhermore,
    the crucifixion can be seen by mythologists as a symbolic representation of
    one of the central beliefs of Gnosticism. The five holes driven thru
    Christ's body represent the five senses, and thereby represent the prison of
    the body. So their emphasis is on an empty cross, so to speak, one that's
    been transcended.

    Sam said:
    So is the MoQ wholly incompatible with Christianity? I don't believe so, and
    in fact I think my 'eudaimonic' MoQ is really a way that I have found to
    render the two compatible (although I didn't start the 'campaign' with that
    conclusion in mind. It rather took me by surprise.)

    dmb says:
    You're kidding yourself. Its clear that your dedication to Christianity has
    Everything to do with your campaign to re-define the 4th level. I think
    you're putting your religious views at the top of the heap even though it
    contradicts the MOQ. That's not cool. Its intellectually dishonest. Any
    re-construction of the MOQ that is motivated by this kind of
    self-justification is bound to leak like the Titanic. Man the lifeboats!
    Sorry if that hurts your feelings. That is not my aim. Just calling it like
    I see it.

    Thanks.