Re: MD traditions of mysticism

From: Elizaphanian (Elizaphanian@members.v21.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 10:56:30 GMT

    Hello David,

    >From your 3/11 post (in response to which I renamed this thread):

    Sam said:
    My criticism of much contemporary writing about mysticism is broadly that it
    mistakes the finger for the moon - the intense and dynamic experience of
    growing from one stage to another becomes a search for intense and dynamic
    experiences. To my way of thinking, it is only when the growth is embedded
    in a tradition of understanding that it is possible to discriminate between
    experiences which are exciting and experiences which actually foster
    spiritual growth (ie growth in Quality).

    dmb says:
    The false dilemma appears here too, but beyond that there is the issue of
    "tradition". I'd ask you to be more specific. Mainstream Western religion
    frowns upon mysticism, to say the least. Some churches even associate it
    with the devil. The experience bears far more fruit if it can be made to
    last, to have a real effect on one's life and mind. On that I think we
    agree. But I'm skeptical of your phrase, "embedded in a tradition of
    understanding". Such traditions seem more likely to thwart and distort, than
    to be of any help. That's why the bishops get so damn nervous when a Saint
    walks in.

    And from yesterday's post:

    > dmb says:
    > Scientific language? I think that's too generous. It was based on casual
    > observation. My only point was that this need for "tradition", as you call
    > it, was independantly confirmed even by neophytes.

    Can I take it, then, that you accept the necessity for "tradition" (or an
    equivalent alternative descriptor of your choice)? So you agree with me that
    it is a necessary element in discriminating 'mystical experiences'?

    > dmb says:
    > I accept it for what it is, a list a commonly found features of the
    mystical
    > experience. It is useful and correct as far it goes. I've read James and
    > would recommend him to friends, but he's also a bit of an antique and a
    > Victorian. Not exactly my greatest hero. I don't know if I'd attatch
    myself
    > to anyone's framework in particular. I'd like to, but they won't have it.
    > Just kidding. I do like Wilber's work quite a bit, but have learned
    > something from everyone I've read on the topic, even if what I learned is
    > that the author is full of hooey. Adding books to my own experience has
    led
    > me to a few conclusions about mysticism and the mystical experience. But
    > this stuff is famous for being indescribable and anything I say will just
    > sound like gobble-dee-gook, expecially if you've not had a mystical
    > experience yourself. Anyway, I think the mystical experience is the origin
    > of all mankind's religion. Its perfectly natural, healthy and even vital.
    > Its an experience that exposes you knowledge that goes way beyond brains,
    > facts and ideas. This noetic quality is what I find most compelling. Its
    > like sticking your head into god's skin. Its like plugging into the main
    > power station. All of creation is shot through with astonishing beauty.
    > Every little thing seems so brilliant and wise, perfectly designed and
    > flawlessly executed. I tend to think about the depressing things too, that
    > isolation and loneliness that so many philosophers talk about becomes an
    > acute sensation rather than an abstact idea. At the same time, as Pirsig
    > mentions, the mind is drawn to the analysis of complex metaphyscial
    > realities, consciousness expands to include all matter of sensation,
    feeling
    > and thought all at once in a sort of boundless awareness. Oh, so many ways
    > to try and get at it, but none of them feel right. But one conclusion a
    > person can walk away with is that the expansion of consciousness is what
    the
    > game is all about and that every little thing in the universe is a
    > manifestation of consciousness, a small piece of the universal ground of
    > being, which is like pure silent potential.

    This is the sort of thing I was after, thank you, it should prove sufficient
    for a developing discussion. At some point we'll have to broaden the
    discussion and agree on someone who we would both accept as a 'mystic', but
    that can wait.

    To begin with, you say "this stuff is famous for being indescribable" - that
    indeed is James' point about ineffability, which you clearly accept. I have
    a question for you: on what grounds do you assert that "the mystical
    experience is the origin of all mankind's religion"? Or, put slightly
    differently, what grounds do you have for saying that a Buddhist 'mystical
    experience' is the same as a Christian 'mystic experience' or a Hindu
    'mystic experience'? If such experiences are 'beyond description' why do you
    say that they are experiences of the same thing, or equivalent experiences?

    BTW I'm enjoying our discussions, even if my tone sometimes becomes
    intemperate :-) I hope you are too.

    Sam
    www.elizaphanian.v-2-1.net/home.html