RE: MD Individuality

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 22:29:48 GMT

    Matt said:
    I have never wanted to discuss the question "How new is the MoQ?" I think
    the question is pretty well answered by "Well, when were the books
    written?"...Nobody's completely original. I think we have to own up to that
    fact.

    DMB says:
    Like Ken Wilber's levels of consciousness, the MOQ's levels also reflect one
    of the oldest and most universal idea. Actually it was already in human
    culture before "ideas" existed. The ancient and universal, or perennial
    philsophy, has long included this same notion; that there is a hierarchy of
    being. The West's great chain of being leaps to mind as an example of a
    pre-rational dipiction of the same. One can even see an inverted version of
    it in Dante's Inferno. The chakra system dipicts it in the East. You get the
    idea. So even though you "never wanted to discuss the question", parts of
    the MOQ are as old as old can be, and comes from a time that predates
    philosophy itself.

    Smokey said:
    .............................As for my carefully laid out, explicit thesis
    statement, I don't have one yet. As I claimed in my previous post, I don't
    have the necessary expertise, yet. While I explore the topic, whatever
    thesis is there will organically arise from the material I'm studying. And
    it probably won't be what I think it might be now, so I'd rather not blow a
    lot of useless smoke, since people are already fairly hostile to my
    particular brand of smoke.

    DMB says:
    May I suggest you skim through the two books and make a list of the
    philosophers Pirsig mentions? This'll you give you the names that are most
    likely to have influenced his thinking. It seems like a reasonable place to
    start. This'd help you cast your net over the right fish. Its gotta beat
    trolling through an entire century - or through 25 centuries.

    Thanks.