Re: MD Individuality

From: Elizaphanian (Elizaphanian@members.v21.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 21:46:18 GMT

    Hi to Smokey and the Bandit,

    Doesn't Pirsig explicitly say that he is continuing the philosophical school
    of pragmatism (ie James, Pierce) so that is the best place to locate him?

    Also, to Matt: why do you think Pirsig has continuities with Heidegger?
    That's deeply intriguing.
    Also to Matt #2, in an earlier post, you said: "Now, I think mystics...
    would want to say that not all awareness for linguistic creatures is
    linguistic. This I deny. It begs the question with a different langauge
    game that I've already left." Are you saying that you cannot have a
    non-linguistic experience, or rather that you simply cannot talk about such
    an experience intelligibly? I'd like to pursue this, if you're willing
    (something of a hobby horse of mine I'm afraid).

    Sam
    www.elizaphanian.v-2-1.net/home.html