RE: MD Can Only Humans Respond to DQ?

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 02:30:30 GMT

    DMB had asked:
    'Why can't Lila be a person that is no part of intellectual values?'

    Wim answered:
    Because she has/is/participates in 'mind'. She collects and manipulates
    symbols.
    One example: she uses her doll as symbol of her lost (murdered?) child. She
    even loses herself at times in that self-created symbolic world.

    Similarly, Sam said:
    In the book, the character Lila is presented as being able to read, and to
    disagree with Phaedrus about the correct application of a concept. I'm
    thinking of the disagreement about the 'Jungle Queen' - Lila knows the words
    of the pamphlet 'by heart' - it isn't specifically spelt out, but the
    implication is reasonably clear that she can read; and then later she
    criticises Phaedrus because 'He doesn't even know what a hustler is'. Now,
    whether Lila is correct to make that judgement or not is irrelevant - the
    point is that she is engaging in definitional dialectic.

    DMB says:
    Definitional dialectic? Oh, please. You can put that duck in a tuxedo, but
    its still just a duck.

    OK, let me see if I get you. Lila can talk and words are symbols so Lila is
    intellectual. I can see why you might come to this conclusion. But I think
    you're both relying on that one quote far too much. We have to see it in the
    full context of what he's saying and balance it with the many things he
    said. For example, Pirsig also describes both the social and intellectual
    levels as "subjective" or "mental". This means that the "mind" can be both.
    Recall the idea that language is a social level thing and that all our
    intellectual constructs are derived from this older part of the mind. This
    adds up to the conclusion that simple language is not the same as the
    intellect's capacity to engage in "the manipulation of symbols". And I think
    it would be a huge mistake to assume anyone with language skills is
    intellectual. That concept would erase the distinction between the two
    levels AND it would mean that every person on Earth is intellecual, since
    all humans can talk. (Except for a few tragic exceptions, but even Helen
    Keller learned to communicate.) Consider also the description Pirsig gave us
    about his characters. He says flat out that intellectually she's nowhere.
    And the fact that she's memorized the JUNGLE QUEEN pamphlet only shows that
    Lila doesn't really even know what's good. She become all excited about a
    tacky little tourist trap that anyone sensible person would avoid like the
    Plague. He even paints Rigel as something less than an intellectual, and he
    graduated from law school! He's a respectable, responsible, intelligent man
    who has read many books and probably done his share of writing, but he's
    still used to portray a person dominated by social values.

    Thanks,
    DMB