RE: MD Progression and benevolence

From: Kevin (kevin@xap.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 18:03:39 GMT

    Platt said:
    First, DQ always moves towards "Good" defined as greater levels of
    freedom and versatility. This doesn't mean that new developments or
    more complexity are always better.

    Kevin:
    I like this statement. I think you've tapped into something important.
    It allows for degeneracy within the system without negating the
    overiding drive of DQ towards something with more "freedom and
    versatility". Of course, I guess the next question is freedom and
    versatility to do what? Freedom and versatility for whom? For the
    pattern evolving? Or for DQ itself?

    Another thought along this line. Perhaps the force of DQ isn't towards
    "freedom and versatility". Perhaps that is the reaction of the pattern
    being acted upon by DQ. In other words, the evolutionary force of the
    universe doesn't dictate the direction of change, it just gives the
    push. The pattern/organism/idea chooses the direction of "freedom and
    versatility" because of it's own need to propogate itself. It's own
    survival in the face of Dynanic force and flux. Perhaps countless
    patterns do NOT choose the direction of "freedom and versatility" after
    DQ nudges them into flux and they do not survive. They dissappear. That
    would explain why we seem to see the patterns that move towards "freedom
    and versatility" and not the failed patterns. Any thoughts?

    Platt also said:
    Secondly, the MoQ presents a rational frame of reference or POV for
    determining betterness, goodness, right and wrong. You can adopt or
    reject it as you wish since every metaphysics, like every thought, is
    POV-centric. (I presume POV means Point of View, not Pattern of
    Value.)

    To believe that betterness or goodness is "just subjective" reflects the

    prevailing POV of moral relativity which Pirsig blames for "social
    catastrophe" whereby the biological forces of sex, drugs, crime and
    tyranny gain the upper hand. With no way to say why these forces are
    wrong (since it all depends on personal, subjective POVs), society
    becomes paralyzed, unable to act in its own defense, like a "spider
    waiting while the wasp gets ready to attack it."

    Kevin:
    Well, I'm not sure I'd call moral relativity the "prevailing POV". At
    least not in North America. Moral absolutists seem to be firmly in
    control around here. Fear not, Platt:-)

    Also, I'm surprised that you put sex and drugs in the same box as crime
    and tyranny. I certainly wouldn't equate them and I'm hesistant to think
    that Pirsig would.

    More importantly, I'm starting to realize that you seem unflappable
    about using relative terms like "better" in prescribing moral absolutes.
    I find that a bit strange. It seems to me that the whole language of MOQ
    is based on relatives (some things are simply better than others). It
    doesn't bless certain things as Pure Good For All Time And Eternity.

    As you've very clearly illustrated, it provides a useful framework for
    making difficult decisions with moral authority based on ratios of
    goodness (small g) which we consider to be "better". It should also be
    noted that the "better" is fairly relative to the person making the
    decision. Let's face it, the MOQ provides a framework for me to make
    "better" moral choices that are "better" for me.

    Platt again:
    My POV-centric view is that Pirsig offers a better solution to the
    problems that confront humanity than the "anything goes" POV-centric
    view of moral relativists.

    But, I could be wrong. (-:

    Kevin:
    Again I'm struck by your use of relative language here. I think it's
    meaningful even if you didn't intend it to be.

    I happen to agree with you that the MOQ provides a "better solution to
    the problems that confront humanity" than many other ideologies. I
    certainly wouldn't recommend "anything goes".

    Your polite disclaimer about wrongness is also telling. It
    deomonstrates, IMO, a healthy perspective about all decisions. We choose
    what is "better" for ourselves (and the MOQ makes that considerably
    easier in many cases) but we recognize that our choices are simply
    relative evaluations of goodness rather than Universal Absolutes.
    Otherwise, the MOQ would simply come up with it's own set of
    Commandments and there would be no need for choosing at all.

    With more hope than before,
    Kevin