MD Systematic about the Sophists

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 04:48:03 GMT

    Sam, Wim and all:

    Sam said:
    But, be that as it may, it would probably best if you had a crack at
    outlining what you think Pirsig thinks about ritual. (I'm asking for you to
    set it out in a more formal fashion). I will then come back at you on that,
    in terms of whether I think you've articulated Pirsig's own position. I
    think it would be best for you to start because you have more sympathy with
    Pirsig's overall position on level 3 and level 4. What I have in mind is
    working up something together that we can both sign up to as 'Pirsig's
    understanding of ritual', or at
    least to append little footnotes to it acknowledging where we disagree. What
    do you think? Would you be on for something systematic like this?

    DMB says:
    Set out Pirsig's views on ritual? In a more formal fashion? Spell out the
    3rd and 4th levels in a systematic way? Sure, I'd be up for something like
    that. That's close to what I've been thinking about lately, but not exactly.
    I went back to ZAMM, which I hadn't dusted off in a long time, to look again
    at his take on the transition period. Interestingly, this same search led me
    to see some things about mysticism that I'd forgotten, or never noticed. It
    seems mysticism was very much apart of what was happening. It'll be a
    cumbersome beast, but I'll try to lay it all out this weekend. It'll be
    something like a response to issues you've raised in recent threads. Try to
    connect some dots, paint the broad view, or something like that. Until then,
    here's a little something to get us started. All are welcome!

    "Plato is the essential Buddha-seeker who appears again and again in each
    generation, moving onward and upward toward the 'one'." (P331)

    "...Phaedrus was clearly a Platonist by temperment and when the classes
    shifted to Plato he was greatly relieved. His Quality and Plato's Good were
    so similar that if it hadn't been for some notes Phaedrus left I might have
    thought they were identical" (331-2)

    "Phaedrus...eventually comes to the view that Plato's hatred the
    rhetoricians was part of a much larger struggle in which the reality o the
    Good, represented by the Sophists, and the reality of the True, represented
    by the dialecticians, were engaged in a huge struggle for the future mind of
    man." (P335)

    "It is here that the classica mind, for the first time, took leave of its
    romantic oritgins and said, 'The Good and the True are not necessarily the
    same," and goes its seperate way." (P336)

    "Now Plato's hatred of the Sophists makes sense. He and Socrates are
    defending the Immortal Principle of the Cosmologists against what they
    consider to be the decadence of the Sophists. Truth. Knowledge. That which
    is independent of what anyone thinks about it. The ideal that Socrates died
    for. The ideal that Greece alone possesses for the first time in the history
    of the world. It is a very fragile thing. It can disappear completely. Plato
    abhors and damns the Sophists without restraint ...because they threaten
    mankind's first beginning grasp of the idea of truth. That's what it is all
    about. The results...are nothing less than the whole world of Western man as
    we know it." (P337-8)

    "Plato HADN'T tried to destroy ARETE. He had ENCAPSULATED it: made a
    permanent fixed idea of of it; he had CONVERTED it to a rigid, immobile
    Immortal Truth. ... That was why the Quality Phaedrus had arrived at in the
    classroom had seemed so close to Plato's Good. Plato's Good was TAKEN from
    the rhetoricians. (P342)

    "The difference was that Plato's Good was a fixed and eternal and unmoving
    idea, whereas for the rhetoricians it was not an idea at all. The Good was
    not a form of reality. It was reality itself, ever changing, and ultimately
    unknowable in any kind of fixed, rigid way. " (P342)

    "What Phaedrus has been talking about as Quality, Socrates appears to have
    described as the soul, self-moving, the source of all things. There is no
    contradiction." (P349)

    See where I'm going yet? Thanks for your time,
    DMB