RE: MD acausal

From: Glenn Bradford (gmbbradford@netscape.net)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 07:36:07 GMT

    "Erin N." <enoonan@kent.edu> wrote:

    >GLENN (to Steve):Thanks for taking a shot at "linear causality".
    >

    >ERIN: LOL you and your violation of quotation marks
    >You put them in when you shouldn't and leave them
    >out when you should put them in...
    >All in the name of confirmation bias
    >I never called it linear causality Glenn you did.

    You are over-reacting to the quotation marks. Note that
    my first use of the phrase left it unquoted. If I were
    guilty of your "confirmation bias" charge I expect I
    would have expressed sarcasm by quoting it right then. In
    the sentence directed to Steve, I'm quoting my own previous
    use of the phrase. The marks also serve to punctuate the
    object of the sentence. Steve also puts the phrase in quotes
    in his own post for much the same reasons (yet he isn't
    getting harrassed like I am).

    >I was trying to describe the relationship of
    >causes and effects.

    Right. And you called that relationship "linear". If causality
    is the relationship of causes and effects, why does my calling
    it "linear causality" set you off? Or was it just your
    over-reaction to the quotation marks?

    >ERIN:>Can you explain why it is completely ruled out.
    >
    >GLENN:I wish I could. But I think physicists can tell based on
    >what happens, and don't need to know how it happens.
    >
    >ERIN: what do you mean they don't need to know how
    >it happens? how can you be sure its causal when you
    >don't know?

    I wasn't answering this question. When you asked me to explain
    "why it is completely ruled out", I thought "it" referred to
    "transfer of information", not "causality". To answer this new
    question, most physicists would say that the photon behaviour is
    caused when one of the photons is measured and the wave equation
    collapses. Granted, this kind of cause is atypical of what we are
    accustomed to in the macroscopic world and might be the type of
    thing you would call "acausal".
    Glenn
    p.s. The mail I sent out earlier today was sent in error. It was
    a draft of a post I already responded to.