RE: MD "linear causality"

From: Erin N. (enoonan@kent.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 21:19:18 GMT

    >Then pray tell what are acausal relationships "saying", beyond
    >Jung's description that they are "seemingly coincidental"? Do you
    >know, or are you just hoping something promising might come from
    >one of these definitions? You seem to be grasping and don't know
    >any better than I do.

    Glenn dearest,
    Let me repeat what I wrote before about acausal
    relationships because I don't think you
    have grasped it. I am not going to answer your
    other questions because they are ignoring
    the points of this post.
    You are interpreting everything from a traditional causal perspective.
    When a nonlinear causality is offered you try to stuff
    it into a causal perspective.
    So I don't think you interpreted that quote better then
    I do.

    Erin

    "Freud method was to study clusters of factors
    that are at the root of abnormal behavior.
    Jung thought the best way to describe developemnt
    of personality is an unfoldment of within.
    It is as though a purpose implicit in the nature of human organism
    is gradually emerging and maturing out of previous
    situations in which neither it nor its equivalent was
    contained. Observing this he saw the it is seriously
    misleading to reduce the creativity of the present
    moment to the psychic circumstances of the past.

    Jung" not only analytical and causal, but also synthetic and prospective in
    recognition that the human mind is characterized by causes as well as
    by fines (aims)....Causality is only one principle and psychology
    essentially cnnot be exhausted by causal methods only"

    Teological pov is the conception of a final purpsose implicit
    in the seed of each organism with the life of the individual
    construed as the working out of that purpose.
    In the actuality of events, it is exceedingly to mark off
    where causality leaves off and teleology begins.
    Also the implicit purpose contain in an organism is not necessrily actualized
    and may be stunted or distorted.
    Jung terms "meaningful coincidence" - the coming
    together by apparent chance of factors that are not causally linked but
    that nevertheless show themselves to be meaningfully related is at the very
    heart of the process by which the individual life enfolds
    and becomes his "fate". Here teleology and contigency
    meet. They come together in framing the issue that is
    deepest and most difficult to which any study of man can address.
    Contigency he realized is not something that could be analyzed
    in a rational cause and effect. Even astrology for
    example loses whatever validity it might otherwise have
    when it is interpreted as a fixed system whose symbols
    have pretermined meanings.

    In contrast Jung was impressed by I Ching.
    It is impossible to find the 'reason' behind the I Ching
    intellectually.
    The insights of the I Ching seem to involve a participation
    in the flow of events that manages somehow to reflect the chance factors of
    time and individuality. This leads to the inference that, if we are to
    undrstand the aspects of contigency that are expressed in the individual
    personality, we must first find a means of bringing our thought
    into harmony with the movements of life out of which contigency
    emerges. In this sense, Jungs development of
    the Synchroncity principle may be intrpreted as an effort to describe
    a way of thinking or better a way of experience, that can
    comprehend the peculiar pattern of movement foudn in nonrational and noncausal
    phenomena. A key lies in that contigency is inherently an
    irrational factor.
    Causality, Teleology, Synchronicity--
    with Synchronicity balancing and complementing the other
    two. "