Re: MD re: quality decisions

From: john williams (ducati900@bigpond.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 08:40:48 GMT

    Hi Mari

    > Mari says:
    > i like your posts also Matt. i enjoy most of the contributers post even
    > when i disagree or don't understand some part or aspect of what they are
    > saying. i'd like to feel comfortable asking for clarity if something is
    not
    > clear and at the same time would like to challenge without getting the
    > Saturday Night Live: " Jane you ignorant slut you...." response because my
    > posts are perceived to be unworthy to be here....INHO there all to often
    is
    > this highbrow air that is not very welcoming to anyone outside the loop.
    > Does anyone else think/feel that this might be so? Come on lurkers, speak
    > up! Here's your chance.

    Yes Mari, this is how I was made feel, not by anyone deliberately making an
    attempt to keep me out just the level of the conversation. No problem with
    that, if that's the only conversation then that's the one you'll have. This
    is what I meant when I asked about the Classic/Romantic split, I am
    definitely here because of how the book made me feel, I have done no
    reading. I'm a truck driver who rides motorbikes and had the book bought for
    me as a gift 10 years ago and have read it regularly ever since, each time
    it makes more sense but I'm still fuzzy and therefore need help with it.

    I must be honest and say that although I am ignorant in regards to
    philosophical works most of what I was seeing here looked like a macho
    pissing competition, this has changed since Rudy posted his MoQ for Dummies
    post and I have discovered people who are interested in helping and talking
    on a less highbrow level. I think that's what we need to do, us less trained
    minds need to interact regularly so it doesn't look so daunting to new
    subscribers.

    John from The Rock