RE: MD Quality and the Metaphysics of Quality, Charlton and Derri da

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 01:01:15 GMT

    Matt said:
    In trying to further refine the differences between my interpretation of
    Pirsig and others I would like to offer this description of the difference
    between Quality in ZMM, on the one hand, and the Metaphysics of Quality in
    Lila, on the other.

    DMB says:
    I think comparing the two books is a good idea. For starters, it seems clear
    to me that Pirsig sought to clarify his ideas in Lila. In ZAMM they were
    left rather vague. And I have to say that I'm suspicious of those who prefer
    ZAMM at the expense of Lila. I mean, there was something special about that
    road trip and aesthetically its a yummier book, but as far as ideas go, Lila
    only takes a good thing and makes it better, more clear, more useful and
    more definite. What's not to love?

    Matt said;
    I think Bruce Charlton (in his essay, on the website, "A Philosophical
    Novel: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance") correctly identifies a
    strain of post-metaphysical thinking in ZMM.

    DMB says:
    Small point. If ZMM preceeds the Metaphysics of Quality, wouldn't that make
    it pre-metaphysical? I know, I know. You're saying he rejects metaphysics.
    I'd like to seem some evidence of that. Maybe he's just guilty by
    association?...

    Matt Continued:
    ................................................I think he's write to put
    Pirsig in the pragmatist tradition with James, Dewey, and Rorty. But just
    as acute is his observation that, after seeming to eschew metaphysics,
    "even Pirsig does not entirely avoid metaphysical thinking. In talking
    about Quality, he is almost irresistibly tempted into the business of
    defining Quality." I think he's right, the strain to make Quality
    metaphysical appears in ZMM, before his follow-through in Lila. However,
    because of the appearance of Lila, I think it is easy to still interpret
    ZMM as post-metaphysical, while leaving the MoQ in Lila to its own devices.
     Charlton interprets ZMM as pragmatic philosophy and I follow him in
    thinking that Lila is something completely other than pragmatism. The turn
    back towards the metaphysical is the turn away from James.

    DMB says:
    I'm glad you see the other strain. I think its not so much that he was
    tempted into it like some kid in a candy store, although I'd bet that's a
    little true too. I think he realized that if his ideas about Quality were to
    ever get past some vague notions about beautiful bar-be-ques and Buddha-like
    mechanics he'd have to spell it out clearly. Further, Pirsig does not
    abandon James or Pragmatism. He goes into some detail as to the differences
    between himself and James in chapter 29 of Lila. From the last page of
    it....

    "The MoOQ is a continuation of the mainstream of 20th century American
    philosophy. It is a form of pragmatism, of instrumentalism, which says the
    test of the true is the good. It adds that this good is not a social code or
    some intellectualized Hegalian absolute. It is direct everyday experience."

    Matt said:
    I think the difference between Quality and the MoQ can be summed up by
    comparing them to Derrida's neologism "logocentrism." Logocentrism is...

    DMB says:
    The comparison didn't help me compare the two books a bit. Let's move on.

    Matt said:
    Quality, in both ZMM and Lila, I think, can be saved, though maybe not the
    Metaphysics of Quality. The key is to not think of it as metaphysical.

    DMB says:
    Huh?

    When Charlton says, "Pirsig is coming close ... to stating that this
    'pre-intellectual awareness' (value) [Quality] is Reality (with a capital
    R)," I think his fear is correct if we assume that this is a metaphysical
    reality. I think we can call Quality reality in a trivial sense that
    simply makes it synonymous with our environment, something pragmatists
    don't doubt the existence of. If we make Quality reality in a trivial
    sense, that means we _can_ still redescribe material things in terms of
    value just as Pirsig does in Lila. But we don't have to. As pragmatists,
    we don't want to say that reality, our environment, _really_ is this or
    that.

    DMB says:
    Oh, I see. You want quality to only be our ordinary enviroment because
    pragmatists would never make any claims about ultimate reality. This
    ultimate reality is the metaphysical reality that we should leave alone.
    Again, this is already in the MOQ. The enviroment, as you put it, is static
    quality and the ultimate reality is Dynamic Quality, which is left
    undefined. No problem. But please be more careful. All this talk about
    leaving metaphysics and quality out of the Metaphysics of Quality sounds
    absurd and confusing here.

    Matt said:
    In summary, I think it is best to put metaphysics aside. I think it is
    best to leave Quality a metaphor i.e. undefined. However, I also think
    that in doing this we can use it to redescribe our environment in
    interesting ways, without accidently reifying it.

    DMB says:
    See? There you go again. We're all here to discuss the MOQ and your
    suggestion is that we put metaphysics aside? Can't you see how that looks?
    Not too flattering, my friend. Matt, I have news for you. In the MOQ,
    Quality is a metaphor and DQ is left undefined. The MOQ does re-describe the
    "enviroment", as static patterns of quality. I think its not so much that
    your criticism are unfounded, although that's true too, so much as they were
    already addressed on the day Lila was ppublished.

    Tanks for your thyme,
    DMB