Re: MD "linear causality"

From: Magnus Berg (McMagnus@home.se)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 12:24:19 GMT

    Hi Scott

    > Biology and zoology *as currently practiced* are not explaining the
    > biological level. They can only describe the first level processes that
    > occur in second level entities. To claim otherwise is to espouse
    > reductionism.

    A good point, but I'm not sure you're entirely correct. I could be wrong
    but doesn't zoologists sometimes describe animal behaviour, for example
    mating rituals, in terms of what they like or dislike. This is a
    description of the second level and as such *not* second level, but that
    goes for descriptions of first level processes as well.

    And isn't various mosquito repellent stuff based on some substance that
    mosquitos simply dislike. I'd say that makes good use of second level
    values.

    > I don't know what a true second-level science would be (I have hopes of
    > Rupert Sheldrake's morphogenesis, but recognize that it is still largely
    > speculative).

    Morpho-what? :) Sounds interesting. What is it?

            Magnus