MD Discuss Metaphysics of Value

From: hampday@earthlink.net
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 01:26:13 BST

    Ham's reply to Arlo Bensinger sent Friday, August 13, 2004
    RE: MD Proposal to discuss a Metaphysics of Value

    You quoted me as saying ...

    > > The "Values" commentary on my website is a recent addition aimed at
    > > getting more viewers.

    > The "pure philosopher inner child" in me cringed at this. Let your content
    > stand on its own.

    You may be right, Arlo. It's just an experiment to see whether comment on
    current events will pull in additional visitors. But if it's seen as a
    distraction
    from the thesis, I'll eliminate it.

    > The one I would recommend to you is his "The Philosophy of Value".

    I'll certainly check it out. The title somehow appeals to me. (:

    > > (I definitely recall Pirsig mentioning teleology as an ongoing process
    > > of the DQ type.)

    > But without sq, each advance made by DQ would have been lost
    > and would need to be endlessly recreated. Even the hypothetical "man free
    > in nature" would not exist because "man" is a product of static qualities.

    See, I have a problem with that concept, Arlo. In the existential world,
    man
    is a species of biological evolution, hence a "product" of Nature. That's
    pure
    existentialism. For the essentialist, man, the individual [I-self], is
    unique in that
    he is the "subject" of experience -- a direct.negation of Essence rather
    than
    the "product" of anything. Products are of his own creation.

    That may seem a minor distinction but it's important in understanding my
    thesis.
    I expect it will provoke more questions; but that's why I'm here.

    Essentially yours,
    Ham