RE: MD PhD Viva Questions

From: Dan Glover (daneglover@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 07:34:13 BST

    Hello everyone

    >From: <ant.mcwatt@ntlworld.com>
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    >CC: qtx@earthlink.net
    >Subject: MD PhD Viva Questions
    >Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:33:12 +0000
    >
    >Dear all,
    >
    >Just to let anyone interested that the viva went pretty well on Tuesday
    >though I have yet to hear from the University concerning a final decision
    >in regards of being awarded a PhD.

    Hi Anthony

    Congratulations! And good luck!

    >In the meantime, I’d just like to thank everyone on this Board for their
    >usually insightful debates in regard to the MOQ. I think these discussions
    >since 1997 have certainly helped in sharpening my own ideas in regards to
    >Pirsig's work.

    I agree. Thank you everyone.

    >Anyway, I thought you might be interested in the type of questions asked in
    >the context of an MOQ PhD viva so (before I forget them!) I paste some of
    >the questions posed by my examiners below. I’ll forward my answers later
    >on (probably at the end of next week) to give other people an opportunity
    >to discuss them.

    Thank you for sharing some of the questions, tough questions too I might
    add. I've spent a rather pleasant evening over them and I've tried to answer
    in brief below using several sources including my own brain. I look forward
    to seeing your answers too.

    >Best wishes,
    >
    >Anthony.
    >
    >P.S. I was speaking to Doug Renselle (one of the original founders of MOQ
    >Discuss) recently. He is busy as ever with his Quantonics site and sends
    >his best regards to everyone.

    Doug! I'm happy to hear he's well. Please say hey from Dan Glover if you
    speak with him again.

    >1. Is Quality more similar to:
    >
    >a. Whitehead's Process Philosophy,
    >
    >b. the Tao, or;
    >
    >c. Plotinus' One?

    C.

    From Anthony McWatt's MOQ PhD Textbook:

    "Pirsig asserts that the philosopher closest to him is Plotinus.

    "I think Pirsig has stated this as both philosophers characterise experience
    as being a continuum from the divine through the intellect to biology then
    to physical matter (the least divine or lowest Quality level); everything is
    one, for both philosophers, in the sense of being an aspect of God (or to
    use Pirsig’s terminology ‘Dynamic Quality’)."

    >2.a. There are at least seven terms for Quality in your thesis (e.g. Value,
    >harmony, excellence) how can they all be the same thing?

    Quality isn't a "thing." Quality is an idea and as such adheres in many
    forms.

    >How does, for example, a table relate to these?

    In the MOQ a table exists simultaneously on four levels. It exists as a
    collection of inorganic level molecules. It exists as biological level wood.
    These values can be seen and examined. The table exists on the social level
    as a function, for example a conference table or a dining room table, and it
    exists on the intellectual level as an idea. These values cannot be seen or
    examined. These four sets of value patterns are discrete and yet are related
    by a shared evolutionary history.

    >b. What is the observer and its relation to the table in terms of Quality?

    From Anthony McWatt's PhD Thesis, page 169: "Pirsig reduces subjects and
    objects down to propensities (as types of values). As such, the MOQ
    recognises that material ‘substances’ and mental ‘substances’ inhere in a
    larger context of value patterns that, in addition, incorporates social and
    biological aspects in an evolutionary relationship."

    In the MOQ the observer is a collection of patterns of value. The observer
    has an evolutionary relationship to the table based on intellectual, social,
    biological and inorganic patterns of value.

    >3. If you kill the self then isn’t this a quick return to the Dynamic and
    >therefore a moral action in Pirsig’s MOQ?

    The MOQ would say a self, a human being, consists of four levels of value
    plus undefined Dynamic Quality. Buddhists practice to kill the intellectual
    self through meditation and mindfulness while sustaining the social self and
    biological self. This may allow enlightenment to arise. It would depend upon
    the type of Buddhist practice whether the return to Dynamic Quality (one has
    always been enlightened, one simply must remember) is quick or slow. This is
    not the same as biological suicide, which the question seems to imply. Since
    the MOQ doesn't recognize an afterlife or a soul apart from the body that
    goes on after death, the death of the biological self is not a return to
    Dynamic Quality. "In the MOQ, Dynamic Quality is synonomous with
    experience." (Robert Pirsig, LILA'S CHILD)

    >4.a. How does an increase of complexity lead to harmony?

    Evolution.

    >b. How can a Schonenberg Concert which is purposively disharmonic fit into
    >this paradigm?

    Musical harmony (or disharmony as the case may be) and the harmony Quality
    produces are not necessarily the same. The former is a biological level
    experience while the latter is an idea.

    >5.a. How does the MOQ improve on James’ pragmatism?

    The MOQ orders the static levels according to an evolutionary morality based
    on freedom. James' pragmatism doesn't.

    >How does this relate to the Nazi Holocaust?

    From LILA: "The Holocaust produced a satisfaction among Nazis. That was
    quality for them. They considered it to be practical. But it was a quality
    dictated by low level static social and biological patterns whose overall
    purpose was to retard the evolution of truth and Dynamic Quality. James
    would probably have been horrified to find that Nazis could use his
    pragmatism just as freely as anyone else, but Phædrus didn’t see anything
    that would prevent it." (Robert Pirsig)

    According to the MOQ intellectual patterns of value are on a higher level of
    evolution than are biological and social patterns so the destruction the
    Holocaust wrought is seen as immoral.

    >5.b. How does this issue relate to the treatment of animals like pigs by
    >human beings?

    The MOQ would seem to suggest the better the biological treatment of animals
    the better the meat so it would behoove the farmer to treat animals
    humanely. When a creature realizes death is imminent the body releases
    hormones that may have an effect on the taste of the meat so a quick and
    painless death is preferable to a slow agonizing one.

    >6. Your thesis suggests that the MOQ states that we should be moral
    >essentially for future generations’ sake rather than being awarded an
    >afterlife or reincarnation. In this regard, what you would you say to
    >someone who said that they didn't care about future generations?

    Don't you care what your mother thinks? Well then, you better be moral,
    young man!

    Seriously, the way I understand it, the MOQ doesn't recognise an afterlife
    or reincarnation in order to avoid a belief in the supernatural. The MOQ
    says it's better to be moral than to be immoral because it's more valuable.
    From Robert Pirsig's third letter at the end of Anthony McWatt's PhD Thesis:

    -----------------------

    If Prof. Clark's question is, "Why should we be moral?" the answer is that
    being moral is more valuable. Value is quite thoroughly explained in the
    MOQ, and no one can say without absurdity that they don¹t know what value
    is. Remember that the MOQ states that there are different levels of morality
    so this question is not as simple as it looks.

    What makes a factual "is" seem so different from a moral "ought" is the
    presumption that factual "is"es are objective truths that exist outside of
    any opinion we have about them, and moral 'oughts" are subjective. In the
    MOQ a factual "is" is a high quality intellectual pattern of values. In the
    MOQ a moral "ought" is also a high quality intellectual pattern of values,
    so there is not much difference between them. The "is"es most commonly refer
    to the inorganic and
    biological patterns because these change so slowly. The "oughts" refer to
    the social and intellectual patterns because these seem more variable.

    "Cause" is a term that is absolutely fundamental to SOM science. A science
    without causes is no science at all. When you show that "cause" is inferior
    to "value" in explaining the quantum behavior of small particles, you have
    shown that the MOQ explains scientific phenomena better than SOM science. So
    a lot is resting on that claim.

    It seems to me one reason morality is more valuable is that it's a
    sustainable option while immorality is not. For example, a person who goes
    to work every day to earn a living can build a career spanning many years. A
    person who decides instead to rob banks for a living will more than likely
    have a very short career.

    Thank you for your comments,

    Dan