Re: MD Plotinus, Pirsig and Wilber

From: David Morey (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 21:58:14 BST

    Hi Scott

    I think Pirsig's notion of intellect is
    based on the sort of intellect that is able
    to work its wonders of control and analysis
    via SOM on the 4th level. So given this
    view of intellect as what exists before SOM
    intellect -able to deteach itself from all other
    to objectify it- then he says that the wholeness
    before the SOM form of development is pre-intellectual.

    But I also agree with Scott that there is something idea-intellect
    like about all the activity/creativity that occurs in the cosmos prior
    to 4th level intellect in Pirsig's terms. So Pirsig fails to nail
    this aspect of intelligence in all of cosmic creativity, i.e. pre-human
    intellect even. I in fact think this helps my case for feeling that the
    realm of DQ possibilities -sort of dreams and ideas- is prior to
    SQ actuality. What we mean by SQ Being is the very thingness-repetition
    that gives it duration-being-pattern-sameness. I cannot imagine SQ before
    DQ, but I can imagine a dream-time of pure DQ without SQ, where there is
    pure flux, no repetition, where all bursts of activity is new and therefore
    pure flux.
    Only the cessation of DQ, the plunge into repetition can bring about reality
    as we know it. And this plunge is the first differentiation. DQ plunges into
    repetition, SQ gains some kind of autonomy and separation from DQ,
    it is free to repeat, free of change and creativity, DQ forsakes power
    over the realm of SQ, only in this self-alienation of Quality into SQ/DQ
    is it possible to open the space where there can be awareness and a content
    of that awareness, an Other, with its own duration-being, as if DQ drew
    an image of its self in the sand and called it a reflection, prior to the SQ
    line drawing there was no Other to experience, separation is the mother of
    experience. SQ is the self-expression of DQ to itself!

    regards
    David M