RE: MD MOQ and The Problem Of Evil

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 16:22:21 BST

    Chuck,

    I really doubt that anyone in MOQ-discuss believes in the sort of thing
    that you are attacking. If you want to argue seriously for a secular view
    as opposed to a religious view, how about learning a little about modern,
    intellectual religion, so you actually have something worth arguing about.

    The Luke verse you cite is quite compatible with the Sermon on the Mount,
    once you think about it, and get over the gap of 2000 years in rhetorical
    style. It means that following Jesus takes precedence over social and
    familial ties, much as the MOQ says that intellectual value takes
    precedence over social value when they are in conflict. As I said in an
    earlier post, one shouldn't look to religion for comfort or easy answers
    (although I will grant that all too many do), and this verse is about that.

    - Scott