RE: MD Solidarity truth

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 01:19:12 GMT

    Erin,

    Matt said:
    He's [Rorty] saying that what counts as objectivity should be thought of as
    a much agreed upon truth, thus setting up a continuum between opinion and
    knowledge.

    Erin said:
    How does he tie in expertise of a subject?

    Matt:
    I haven't read Rorty specifically on this, but I think his response would
    go like this: Standards of expertise in a subject would be decided by the
    members of the discipline. This can be as formal or informal as the
    discipline wants. This is why we see battles over competence in the more
    informal disciplines (like literary criticism and philosophy). Generally,
    if you look at what the requirements are for getting a Ph.D. in a subject,
    that's a good measure for mutually agreed upon standards of expertise.
    After you get your degree, expertise is decided by how published you are
    and/or your reputation (for instance, say you aren't very well published
    due to outside circumstances (you aren't a good writer, you don't like
    publishing, etc.), you could gain a reputation with your colleagues at the
    university you teach, conferences you attend, other people you hang around
    with).

    Matt