Re: MD Quality privileged

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 13:34:56 GMT

    Scott:

    > [Platt]> Perhaps the MoQ has recovered that "expressivity." Quality can be
    > > considered "spirit like" and all patterns in the MoQ levels are in some >
    > sense "aware" i.e., "alive."
    >
    > I agree, though it takes self-transformation to actually recover it.

    Not sure what you mean by "recover it." Recover what?

    > [Platt]> Seems you are saying, "I invite you to think it is true that . .
    > ." thus > invoking a universal, foundational acceptance of truth as a
    > guiding > concept.
    >
    > But what kind of truth? My point is that metaphysical statements do not
    > employ truth by correspondence in the way that statements about perceived
    > reality can. If you say "the cat is sitting on the mat" I can verify it (or
    > not) by looking at the cat. There is no way, though, to verify that
    > "everything is Quality" short of self-transformation.

    We seem to agree that Truth with a capital T is a fundamental, universal
    value. It's also the underlying premise of all philosophy although some
    postmodernists won't admit it. (It's true there is no truth.) The
    differences occur, as you say, over methods of arriving at the truth--true
    because I see it, true because God says so, true because it's beautiful,
    etc. Contrary to your last sentence, however, I've "verified" in my own
    mind that "everything is Quality" by finding Pirsig's metaphysics
    convincing. I don't need to be born again to accept the validity of his
    premise.

    > In any case, "vocabulary" is invoked so frequently by followers
    > > of Rorty (among others) that it begins to take on the status of an
    > > absolute all by itself. :-).
    >
    > That's what I am saying we should do: think of everything as a word in some
    > language game, words whose (ultimate) meaning is Quality. That Quality is
    > not read in everything is the mark of our non-participatory state (which
    > elsewhere I called insanity).

    I agree in the sense that to "think" requires words. But thinking is not
    the full measure of experience, so everything is not translatable into
    vocabularies--the arts, for example. Yet, Quality shines through it all.

    Platt