Re: MD coherence

From: Valuemetaphysics@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 13:21:13 BST

    Dear Mark M.,

    You prefer (27 Aug 2004 20:05:50 -0400) something like 'harmonious relations
    between patterns of value of different levels' to 'a good fit between
    patterns of value of different levels' as a description of 'coherence'? Fine
    with me too.

    Mark 28-8-04: Hi Wim, looking good.

    You didn't answer my question how the experience of 'coherence' relates to
    the experiences of static quality and Dynamic Quality in your opinion, so I
    will assume that it doesn't do so in the way that causes me problems ('a
    different kind of experience that adds to or combines the experience of
    static quality and Dynamic Quality').

    Mark 28-8-04: I like this question Wim, it's very interesting. I do not know
    how you would describe your experience of sq and DQ?
    If we can say that some experiences are more static than others, like being
    stuck in a prison cell with no stimulation for years on end, and if we can say
    some experiences are more Dynamic than others, like riding a motorcycle fast
    through open country, then how would the MOQ deal with these experiences other
    than saying one is more static than the other, or one is more Dynamic than the
    other?
    Enquiry into experience of the Way indicates an optimum relationship between
    two extremes of stasis and Dynamic - a relationship which paradoxically
    actually opens up Dynamic experience for every moment. This relationship is
    coherence.

    'More coherence' (i.e. more harmony of lower level patterns of value with
    higher level patterns of value) is then for me one of the criteria for
    Dynamic Quality operating on a (lower) level: Better patterns of value
    (those migrated farthest towards DQ) are those with more stability (a
    relation of being more 'alike' a later version of itself), more versatility
    (a relation between a pattern of value and its changing environment) and
    more coherence (a relation between a pattern of value and patterns of value
    of higher levels).

    Does that fit you? (-;

    Mark 28-8-04: Sounds like we are coming together at this point.

    What do I mean with a 5th level?
    The MoQ is in principle open to the emergence of a 5th level, a type of
    patterns of value that differs from 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level types and
    that can mediate between DQ and 4th level patterns of value. From a 4th
    level perspective 5th level patterns of value cannot be described (just as
    4th level patterns of value cannot be grasped in 3rd level terms, as
    habitual behaviour). If it could, it wouldn't be a new level. Does it exist?
    I don't know. Maybe enlightened individuals experience it, but are sadly and
    tragically unable to communicate the experience to us, who are still mired
    in 4th level patterns of value?

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim

    Mark 28-8-04: I see. Most intriguing. Of course, i cannot provide an argument
    against this description of 5th level because any description would be 4th
    level and inappropriate. Well done Wim! ;) One interesting point though: If
    coherence is a workable concept, it can be applied to 5th level relationships with
    the 4th level, just as is can be applied to 3rd level relationships with 4th
    level patterns.
    Pirsig suggests that the code af art is above the intellectual level. How do
    you view this?

    All the best,
    Mark