Re: MD Solidarity truth

From: Patrick van den Berg (cirandar@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 17:25:49 GMT

    --- Platt Holden <pholden@sc.rr.com> wrote:
    > Hi Patrick:
    >
    > > Do you think that this scientist from Denmark is right? That the
    > climate
    > > isn't heating up?
    >
    > What I think is irrelevant to the point of my post which was to
    > question
    > the veracity of Rorty's "solidarity truth." A debate about the extent
    > of
    > climate change on this site which is primarily devoted to philosophy,
    > especially the Metaphysic of Quality, would not be appropriate IMO.

    Yes, you're right. But I was just curious. Ultimately, the issue of
    global heating could have serious consequenses of life on earth, and
    consequences of negative quality, I deem.
    Discussing dutch political issues here, as I said I would do, this I
    toyed with in my mind. But similarily, I thought it would digress too
    much from the goal of this forum. Others would disagree, of course,
    debating whether or not Pirsig is a Liberal or Conservatist...
    Furthermore, I use my not discussing dutch political here as an excuse
    to focus on my thesis more! I want to finish this damn thing! I'll
    retreat from posting in this forum for a while, therefore, after
    skimming things addressed to me, and that politely requires some answer
    of course.

    > heart of intellectual values. Do you agree with Pirsig's truth
    > criteria,
    > Rorty's criteria or some other standard?

    Pirsig's truth criteria are somewhere between absolutism and relativism.
    Basically, I find this a good thing. I'm not acquainted with Rorty.

    > What moves you along the
    > scale from doubt to certainty?

    As a true intuitive Baysian statistician, I always remain in doubt about
    much things, but I try to search for plausible reasoning in, for
    instance, societal issues, to form an opinion which is far from certain,
    but sufficient for the moment, so I can move on, while adding a
    temporarily truth-lable on my plausible conclusion, to use this as a
    standpoint in future discussions.

    All the best, Patrick.