Re: MD Pirsig a nominalist?

From: David Morey (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 10:38:07 BST

    Scott: Even if one wants to keep to a temporal story, which in a way we have
    to,
    since we cannot imagine eternity, it is possible to speak of intellect
    before there were people, and without positing an anthropomorphic Designer
    God. On the biological level, instinct acts as a conceptual realm by which
    the animal can react to particulars. An animal may have never encountered
    some other animal before, but instinct -- a set of generalized patterns --
    will get it to flee or chase. And on the inorganic level, physical law is a
    conceptual reality that the physical things will always follow (though who
    is to say that physical laws haven't changed over the eons).

    DM: This is 100% right as far as I am concerned. I think Pirsig
    leaves intellect on the 4th level with man as so many people
    understand intellect only in human terms. Pirsig instead simply
    explains how SQ/DQ manifests differently on different levels due
    to what emerges as now being possible as the levels are built on top
    of each other. SQ itself implies universality. You see concepts as
    essential to universality as Hegel rightly does and therefore say intellect
    where
    Hegel says reason. Pirsig tries to keep off of these to avoid attack of
    anthropocentrism. But to me the emergence of SQ/DQ is clearly
    full of what cunning to borrow a word from Hegel. I take this to
    be a quality of DQ that emerges on all levels. Even the abraxas moth has a
    yearning love of its dream image of the universal light, or of the
    ideal-lady
    moth.