RE: MD Political Correctness

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 01:36:11 BST

    Ant and all McMOQers:

    Ant McWatt said:
    Just to add to David's comment here, I would certainly be interested in
    discovering the history of the term "political correctness". As a student
    of mine once remarked, it was probably just invented by a spin-doctor with
    right-wing sympathies to undermine non-conservative views. It is a process
    of stigmatisation employed by politicians or other commentators to avoid
    having a full and proper debate with views they seek to denigrate. As such,
    I'd definitely agree with the sentiment that the use of the term "political
    correctness" is a blight on [the] intellect.

    dmb says:
    As I understand it, leftists used the phrase to mock themselves and each
    other and then it was picked up and blown out of all proportion by their
    critics on the right, who liked to construe political correctness as the new
    McCarthyism.

    Ant said:
    For anyone who wants to explore further this "angry-white-men" thing with
    being "PC" may I recommend Michael Moore's "Stupid White Men" published by
    Penguin in 2001 and my present read of choice, Bill Hick's "Love All the
    People" (published this year) which contains a number of his previously
    unpublished letters and manuscripts...

    dmb says:
    Bill Hicks is a genius. The best comics in the world are shallow cowards
    compared to him - and they'll be the first to tell you that. He's a comic's
    comic. I can't heap enough praise and I'm glad to know you like him too. But
    if you're interested in a more scholarly look at the PC wars and the whole
    angry-white-guy thing, there is Russell Jacoby's DOGMATIC WISDOM. As an
    Intellectual Historian, his book intelligently puts the clash in the context
    of multiculturalism and competition on campus.