RE: MD MOQ, Buddhism & suffering

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 18:11:15 BST

    Marsha,
    > Hmmm. I have questions about Buddhism. I hope I may ask my questions on
    > this list. I really would like a teacher. At least I think I would like
    > teacher. I've heard it stated that when the student is ready, the
    teacher
    > will appear. Maybe the many voices on this list are to be my teacher.

    Maybe. As with any big and long-enduring -ism, there are lots of
    variations, and no doubt you will find variations within this list.

    > My question is about suffering. My understanding is that in Buddhism the
    > idea is to let go of all the attachments that create suffering. On the
    > other hand, that a person should to be generous and helpful to others
    > because as long as others suffer, everyone will suffer. Is this correct?

    Yes, and yes, though on the second question, the idea of compassion was
    stressed more in the Mahayana school (started up about 500 years after the
    Buddha's death), which put forth the "Bodhisattva" ideal, someone who vows
    to postpone exiting from the wheel of birth and death until all sentient
    beings become enlightened.

    - Scott