Re: MD On Faith - Improbability ?

From: Jim Ledbury (jim.ledbury@dsl.pipex.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 21:08:23 BST

    Scott,

    I wasn't contesting that point - simply the one that you said that
    Darwinism was 'untestable'. Darwininsm has made certain retrodictions -
    albeit of a highly general character - and has been proved to be right.
    However I do accept you accusations of tautology have some validity.

    With regard to the "solely through chance" assertion: I am not sure that
    this is really an article of faith. Granted certain neo-D evangelists
    seem to emphasise the random nature of evolution given that the only
    mechanism they see underlying change is random mutation. Even given
    this faith in the random, they accept that each and every mutation is
    subject to selectionary criteria - whether of the strictly basic
    adequacy of a particular genetic strategy (the hackneyed "survival of
    the fittest") or of the more aesthetic sense of various kind of sexual
    selection (either in terms of mating - fitness, dare I say charm?, of
    partners - or in terms of propagation - prettiness of flowers). A lot
    of problems arise subsequently to this by the refusal to ascribe an
    internal state to the black boxes that necesarily make the choices.

    Personally, I find most of the problems that people find with evolution
    are down to a "dumb matter" interpretation of materialism. I am a
    materialist in that I think that we are composed of matter and that
    "spirit" is only a reflection of how matter behaves in certain
    circumstances: it is very obvious to me that there must be some degree
    of manipulation of quantum emissions in my ability to type this email
    (impression in state of brain evoking finger muscles to depress keys).
    I find that is is a problem of science in general to shy away from
    trying to find out about the nature of particles and molecules with
    regard to this manifestly evident property and treat with them only on a
    statistical basis. Similarly I have no problem with the crossover
    between intent and randomness: if social statistics say that en masse
    humans behave like random entities, it is to me no different than saying
    electrons have certain probabilities of behaviour. Perhaps the problem
    with science at the moment with finding a rationale for volition is that
    it will only investigate the constancies of statistical behaviour rather
    than trying to explain how variations this 'random' behaviour underpins
    intent. MoQ at least tries to do this.

    Regards,
    Jim