RE: MD Solidarity truth

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 19:08:00 GMT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin [mailto:mpkundert@students.wisc.edu]
    Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 10:25 AM
    To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    Subject: Re: MD Solidarity truth

    Hi Platt:

    Platt said:
    I notice you frequently use the phrase, "beg the question" and I keep
    asking myself, "What's the question?" usually finding no answer. Is
    there another way you can make your point or at least reveal the
    question?

    Matt:
    The question is, "What's truth?" You want to say, "there are many kinds of
    truth," which implies that "truth" is a thing. For instance, in your way
    of viewing things this question exists: "Objective truth or solidarity
    truth: which one is better?" I want to say, "truth is a property of
    sentences," implying that "truth" is not a thing. In my way of viewing
    things, the question "Objective truth or solidarity truth: which one is
    better?" can't exist. Thus, by your asking that question, you are begging
    the question. Your logic book probably says something like this on the
    "begging the question fallacy": "arriving at a conclusion from statements
    that themselves are questionable and have to be proved but are assumed
    true." Now, granted, this definition begs the question in favor of our
    ability to prove (the implication being in some "necessarily/absolutely
    certain" kind of way) statements, which I don't think is really possible.
    When I say you are begging the question, I'm saying that you are accepting
    a premise that I don't accept, therefore your conclusion isn't one I'm
    likely to also reach. I'm saying the consequences you draw aren't
    consequences of my position, they are consequences of either your position
    or some other position you've just created to look like me.

    Platt said:
    I suggest that if a pragmatist has a heart attack he would quickly find it
    objectively true that he'd rather be treated by a doctor than a auto
    mechanic. For the life of him, that's not ha[r]d to figure out.

    Matt:
    I love it when you describe Truth as something revealed. Because that,
    obviously, begs the question, too.

    Speculating on the changes in beliefs caused by outside circumstances (like
    a heart attack), does very little for your position. People who are dying
    do very odd things sometimes. I wouldn't try to rationalize how they came
    to their changed beliefs, other than to say that their beliefs were caused
    to change rather than to say they reasoned through their beliefs, found
    them wanting, and then changed them. So, the pragmatist might very well,
    on his death bed, say its objectively true for a doctor to work on him.
    But I doubt we'd continue to call him a pragmatist and I doubt that has any
    bearing on the pragmatist position. It could also be the case that a
    believer in God is in an auto accident, stares into the jaws of death, and
    comes back and says, "How could God have done that to me? I'm a good
    person. By golly, I think I'm gonna' be a pragmatist now." Perfectly
    possible, yet I wouldn't think that that man's conversion was a strike
    against the existence of God.

    Platt said:
    You bet. "Agrees with experience" is tantamount to "corresponds."

    Matt:
    No, we've been over this before. I wish you'd at least acknowledge that
    we've hashed this over before.

    In a trivial sense, "corresponds with reality" equates to "agrees with
    experience," but that's not what the philosophical battle adds up to.
    Believers in the correpondence theory of truth believe that there is a
    Reality "out there" that has already decided whats true and what's false,
    and that all we need to do is match up with it properly. Someday we will
    have reached Truth, and then we won't ever have to do science or philosophy
    or any other intellectual activity again, because we've found the Truth.
    Pragmatists have no idea what this theory of truth cashes out to because
    all they can't figure out how that helps scientists in their experiments.
    How does knowing that one day, we will have absolute Truth, help a
    scientist? The pragmatist has no idea. The only thing they can figure is
    that it gives them some sort of psychological security. If that's the
    case, the pragmatists want to do away with the security blanket because
    they think we are mature enough not to need it.

    Platt said:
    My question to you boils down to: "Is it possible for a single individual,
    acting alone, to discover a pragmatic truth?

    I'm not sure what "a pragmatic truth" is, but I'm pretty sure your question
    begs the question by thinking that A) truth is to be discoverd and B) truth
    is a thing. It is possible for a single individual, acting alone, to
    change some of their beliefs, to reason through things and say, "Well, I
    don't think I belief in God anymore so the statement 'There is a God' is
    now false."

    Matt