Re: MD On Faith

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 16:14:20 BST

    Dear Scott,

    You wrote 14 Oct 2004 12:11:13 -0600:
    'Theologians often have insight into the broader scope of the ways in which
    their religion is practiced, how it relates to traditional practices, and so
    forth.'

    To the extent that theology is understood as the study of religious practice
    or even as the study of what's Meaningful for people, I have no problem with
    it. Every Quaker is supposed to be a theologian in that sense: studying
    religious practices and Meaningful findings of others to find what's of
    value for them in it.
    It is only to the extent that theology pretends to (be able to find or) have
    (found) answers that are valid for other people that I (and most Quakers)
    object. Not theology makes you find the Meaning of (your) Life, but
    religious practice itself. Theology as studying what others do and find can
    only help you to REcognize that Meaning.

    If 'faith means trust in divine guidance' is a theological statement, then
    that statement indeed describes the religious practice of Quakers as I know
    them.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim