RE: MD On Faith

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 02:22:40 BST

    Scott Roberts wrote:
    It (the clash between science and religion) has been resolved for over a
    hundred years in liberal Protestant theology. The Catholics took longer, but
    they have no problem either, since Vatican II.

    jl in polite astonishment:
    Really????????

    dmb sez:
    Again, SR, you seem to be on a different planet. If you think the clash has
    been resolved, then I can only conclude that you don't understand what that
    conflict is all about. Another reason for coming to this conclusion.....

    Scott Roberts began his reply to dmb:
    (Note: I've cut out the parts about empiricism, since I would rather
    address that question separately).

    dmb says:
    Jeez, talk about missing the point. The parts about empiricism were
    absolutely crucial to the main point and purpose of the post. Pirsig's
    expanded empiricism, epistemological pluralism as Wilber calls it, allows
    science and religion to co-exist as equals again and so resolves the
    conflict. I just don't have the patience it takes to talk to a guy who would
    delete the main ideas in a response. You know what I do? Just the opposite.
    I try to delete everything BUT the main ideas, the main points.

    Now I'm off to a tea party at rabbit's house,
    dmb