RE: MD Poetic Quality

From: Mae Wood (polkadotsf@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 22:06:37 BST

    Mark:
    Well, I have read ZMM so I'd like to try to respond to this. It's an
    interesting exercise, and I've practiced it with paintings - writing and
    assessing the qualities in paintings. But usually we try to make sure that
    the two paintings in comparison are of similar genre. In other words, you
    would not necessarily ask which is the better quality: Picasso's Portrait
    of Gertrude Stein or DaVinci's Mona Lisa? Too many things differ, too many
    artistic intentions are dissimilar in the works. Really can't be clearly
    compared. So I'm wondering this about the two poems you present. Are they
    similar enough that we could compare Quality? If you presented two Haiku for
    instance, would this make the task more revealing of what Pirsig was trying
    to demonstrate to his students? Just my thoughts....and hope you don't mind
    my posting, as I've not graduated from Lila yet....!