MD Galileo

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 10:28:19 BST

    Hi all,

    Content Advisory Warning: for those with an antipathy to Christian perspectives, please look away
    now. You must consider your blood pressure ;-)

    Pirsig claims that science is superior to Christian beliefs because it is more dynamic, specifically
    that it has an 'eraser'. He - in common with much conventional opinion - perceives Christianity as
    something which is unable to change, and therefore of comparatively low Quality. As you might
    imagine, I consider his opinion on this matter flawed and ill-founded.

     To bring this out, I'd like to look at the Galileo episode as Galileo is often brought out as an
    example of the wickedness of church institutions, and certainly, to execute someone for their
    beliefs is an abominable act. However, the wickedness of that act - and the use of this example in
    the various debates between 'science and religion' (in truth, internal arguments within the
    Modernist/SOM mindset) has distorted one particular truth - and when Pirsig, and others not too far
    away from this forum, repeat the idea that Christianity cannot change, they are reproducing a static
    pattern which is not true, that is, which has low Quality. So I'd like simply to point out that it
    is not true, as it would seem conducive to a proper discussion for us to be in full possession of
    the facts. Not least because the increasing salience of religious questions in our world in the
    coming years will force us to examine our deepest assumptions, both religious, atheist, agnostic and
    absconding - all of us.

     So, Galileo. I would want to point out two things.

    1. Although Galileo's perspective was correct (ie the earth does travel round the sun) it could not
    be shown to be correct at the time of the debate. The Ptolemaic model was a more accurate model for
    predicting the movements of the heavenly bodies. Galileo's perspective had greater beauty, and
    promised great things, but it could not be shown to be correct at the time of his trial. (See Kuhn
    on this, amongst others).

     2. The church authorities did not rule out the possibility of change. I quote from Cardinal
    Bellarmino (Galileo's antagonist): "If there were any real proof that the Sun is in the centre of
    the universe and that the earth is in the third heaven, and that the Sun does not go round the Earth
    but the Earth around the Sun, then we would have to proceed with great circumspection in explaining
    passages of Scripture which appear to teach the contrary, and rather admit that we did not
    understand them than declare an opinion to be false which is proved to be true". In other words, if
    Galileo could have proved his point, then the Church would have backed down.

    Sam