Re: MD On Faith

From: Erin (macavity11@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 20:57:51 BST

    Hi,
    I agree that there is a distinction between the two but I don't think you have sufficiently explained why there is a distinction. You make it sound that Pirsig has this crystal clear argument but with all the dissenters of the MoQ and the various interpretations of the MOQ that is questionable.
     There are many "rational" people who think the MOQ is "irrational" and nothing you have said seems like it would convince them. I wanted you to explain your argument to a skeptic-----slapping a title "rational empiricism" I would doubt would convince them.
    Can you explain why it is rational empiricism, please.

    Erin

    I'd say it's not, because, as I've mentioned in another thread,
    Pirsig presents a very convincing argument for the reality of
    Quality/Value. In ZMM he shows the absurdity of a world without
    value. So we're dealing with rational empiricism, not faith.

    Mark Steven Heyman <markheyman@infoproconsulting.com> wrote:Hi all,

    Back from a long weekend. Geeze, I figgered you guys would have all
    this worked out by now! But I see le' Avalanche Buchanan has been
    thundering seaward, so ya'll have your hands full.

    'What if he [Kerry] said that "values that he practices as an MOQer
    will guide me as president". Is that faith, why or why not? '

    I'd say it's not, because, as I've mentioned in another thread,
    Pirsig presents a very convincing argument for the reality of
    Quality/Value. In ZMM he shows the absurdity of a world without
    value. So we're dealing with rational empiricism, not faith. In
    fact, Pirsig makes it clear that there is no room for faith in the
    MOQ. So if anyone said "I have faith in the principles of the MOQ,"
    I'd have to say that they don't even understand the principles of the
    MOQ.

    This is why I've tried to pin down the difference between Quality and
    God. It's because of Pirsig's RAA argument that I've asked for a
    similar bit of reasoning in support of the existence of a
    personalized ground of being, one that would care about the
    individuals killed on 9/11, or anyone else.

    David Morey has said there IS a difference but was not specific,
    saying that "using the god-concept may allow us to also bring in
    other ideas that have been used in association with the god-concept
    but not yet with quality." I would like to discuss those other
    ideas.

    Scott Roberts, I believe, sees both Quality and God as ways of
    referring to aspects of a "disembodied consciousness" he sees as the
    ground of being. Here he casts his vote for consciousness as the
    ultimate reality because in doing so the problem of consciousness
    arising from matter, he believes, disappears. On the other hand, I
    choose to let the problem be a problem, for now, and go with the
    rational empiricism of the MOQ, believing that a large amount of
    empirical evidence suggests the possibility that consciousness may
    very well be a manifestation of matter.

    Sam Norton, to his credit, was quite precise about the difference
    between God and Quality: God cares (or values) individual human
    beings while the MOQ does not. I would disagree that the MOQ, a
    metaphysics of MORALITY after all, places no value on individuals;
    rather it insists that an individual's personal value should not be
    allowed to destroy the value of things higher in the moral hierarchy,
    specifically societies and ideas, that result in higher value for
    all.

    But even if it's true that Quality does not value individuals, and
    God does, a belief in this idea of a personal, caring "ground of
    being", is faith-based while my belief in Quality is not, or so I
    have argued.

    However, I'm not convinced, as DMB seems to be, that religious belief
    is for everyone devoid of value, that is, that people who value it
    are dupes of the God-Squad. Sam suggested to me, off-list, that
    current theological trends don't try to resolve the Problem of Evil
    so much as teach people to live with the doubt it engenders. I think
    the same can be said for living with the possibility that the "ground
    of being" may indeed not care for us as individuals. To me, the
    important fact is that we can and do care for one another, though,
    sometimes, this too is hard to believe.

    Best to all,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983