Re: MD the worst thing about 9/11 according to the MoQ

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 23:10:14 BST

    Hi Platt,

    > Would you agree that Pirsig's referring to himself as the "author" and
    > using the nom de plume of "Phaedrus" constitutes an individual locus? I
    > suspect it does, although I'm not sure what you mean by locus for
    > individual "as such."

    What I meant when talking about a 'locus' for individuality as such was a place in the MoQ schema
    where an individual might be located/locatable, as opposed to the static patterns at each level
    which may compose such an individual (and where the 'individual' is therefore an illusion which
    breaks down on further analysis).

    I understand Diana McPartlin described this as one of the key problems with the MoQ, ie that you
    have a system geared around morality, but no clear sense of how moral judgements are made (ie "what
    is doing the judging if the individual is an illusion"?).

    I suspect Pirsig isn't consistent on this point (although Phaedrus is definitely a character, not
    RMP himself - as I think he points out somewhere).

    Regards
    Sam