Re: MD DQ people

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 12:32:20 GMT

    Hi John:

    > Hi Platt, thanks for taking the time to read my contribution. You don't
    > think much of it?

    Well, I'm not a "lefty." I don't always know what's best for other people. I
    do know my country wasn't built by people seeking handouts.

    > You say:
    > Let's see. DQ people are people who "help" others. Where did you get
    > > that idea? I've searched Lila and couldn't find where Pirsig said any
    > > such thing. Can you help me out by citing a quote or two? I ask because
    > > when I think of great DQ people like Rembrandt and Beethoven, I don't see
    > > that "helping others" was their guiding light.

    > So you only recognize significant DQ people, And that there would only be
    > one way of Dynamic Quality manifesting? I find that hard to believe.

    My point was DQ people aren't necessarily only those who "help" others.

    > Your
    > probably right, if Pirsig hasn't anything to say about helping people. Even
    > if that isn't where he ended up I'm fairly certain that's what he started
    > out to do, and I accept that personal development may be the only
    > worthwhile use you see for MoQ but I don't. Yes I am doing this for
    > personal development, but what should we do with our personal development,
    > climb a mountain and sit there looking smug?

    There are a thousand and one things you can do with your "personal
    development." Being a missionary is only one possibility.

    > I'm a lefty mate, I spend my time helping people less able to help
    > themselves than I am, I believe that's how the world should work, the
    > strong helping the weak, and that's what I'll do with a better
    > understanding of the world.

    I have no problem with your chosen worldview. Using government
    jackboots to impose that view on others is the problem.

    > That's also the slant that I bring to reading this work.So when I
    > recognize DQ I'll see it from my own perspective, it's only natural.

    Agree. We all bring our beliefs to what we read and tend to find things
    there that support our POV.

    > Now if this DG was only for Philosophology of Lila and ZMM and that we
    > could only talk about things that had actually come out of Pirsigs mouth,
    > Then I may well be in the wrong place, What you read was my interpretation
    > of what I read in Chapter 9. It actually touches me, "Dynamic Quality is
    > the pre-intellectual cutting edge of reality, the source of all things,
    > completely simple and always new". I can see it, I can identify
    > pre-intellectual experiences. Now you could choose to disagree with me on
    > that, I'd be fine with that, but it's my reality not yours.I appreciate the
    > opportuntity to expand my understanding of Quality.

    No one is stopping you. What I was questioning was the implication
    that the MoQ was a leftist manifesto.

    > Do you think DQ is more important than SQ? I don't think I do.

    I'm not sure. Pirsig says both are needed. But I tend to see DQ as more
    important because it is the agent of change for the better.

    Platt