Re: MD Making sense of it (levels)

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 12:39:47 GMT

    Steve, Wim, DMB:

    > Steve: I wish I could say that it were obvious for me, but I have
    > difficulty. I can see how rocks, plants, animals, people, and ideas fall
    > neatly into the categories but what about crime, democracy, terrorism,
    > communism, capitalism, dancing monkeys and others that have been debated by
    > this group that seem much less obvious to me.

    Call me simplistic. Crime-biological. Democracy-social. Terrorism-
    biological. Communism-social. Capitalism-social. Dancing monkeys-
    biological. (I'd like to see some corroboration for that monkey story.)

    > >Wim said earlier:
    > >"I know how to categorize patterns of values: by the way they are
    > maintained/latched. (inorganic: unequal probability distributions in the
    > quantum behavior of subatomic particles; biological: DNA stabilized by
    > protein structures around it; social: unconscious copying of behavior;
    > intellectual: conscious motivation/justification of actions in a way that
    > is acceptable to others). I can categorize values indirectly by
    > interpreting them as the value of maintaining a pattern of values of one of
    > these types (i.e. as static quality) or as the value of changing a pattern
    > of values away from disintegration (i.e. as Dynamic Quality)."
    >
    > The above is the formulation that DMB called, "so confusing, so wrong, and
    > so bizarre that I'd hardly know where to begin to untangle it. "

    I agree it's confusing, but I'm not prepared to say it's wrong just because
    I don't understand it. I disagree when Wim says the intellectual level has
    to be "acceptable to others." As soon as you bring in "others" you're
    into social level patterns.

    Platt