MD Theft (from Struan)

From: Glenn Bradford (gmbbradford@netscape.net)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 19:47:26 GMT

    Greetings,

    http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_focus/0007/att-0011/00-part

    Horse is absolutely wrong in his defence of theft and now compounds his
    abuse of my work by publishing, in its entirety, our private
    correspondence. Perhaps I should publish Mr White's full name and
    address, together with his CV from 1998! Clearly, once I had found out
    that Horse had used my essay without my permission (URL above), I
    thought Horse an honourable sort who would reference it PROPERLY and so
    I ignored the original theft. Having very graciously forgiven Horse for
    stealing my essay, and even more graciously given permission for Horse
    to use it, I now find that a search engine takes anyone straight to it
    with no referencing on the page - EXCEPT 'MOQ.ORG'. The suggestion that
    people who find it via a search engine can easily find the true credit
    by trawling through archives they may not even realise exist is utterly
    fatuous; equivalent to me ripping the cover off a book, putting a new
    one it with my name on and advertising it in the high street, while
    claiming (when found out) that the name of the real author is pinned up
    on the local supermarket notice board for all to see.

    I suppose my mistake was to believe Horse when he wrote that he had,
    finally, given me credit for it. I had no idea that he would think
    crediting me for it on an entirely different web page would suffice. It
    does not, and the charge of outrageous dishonesty stands, and will
    continue to stand until Horse either removes my essay or gives me proper
    credit on the same web page.

    Looking back on it, I can see I was duped. Why, for example, is my essay
    the only thing Horse has ever posted as an attachment? Why did he not
    put it into the body of his e-mail which makes clear that it does not
    belong to moq.org so that all could see this to be the case? Why did he
    write 'moq.org' as a reference at the bottom of my essay - the only
    piece of added information? Why did he not write at the top, or bottom,
    of the essay 'origin unknown', or words to that effect? Why did he not
    make any effort to find out the author's identity by supplying the title
    to the forum and asking for help?

    Horse is free to use my essay. It is beyond obvious that he is morally
    and legally bound to reference it properly. He certainly is NOT free to
    reference it 'moq.org'. That is theft.

    I can't for the life of me understand how this could possibly be
    construed as anything other than a reasonable request and am appalled at
    Horse's continued dishonesty.

    Struan