Re: MD Pirsig an artist - MoQ & love

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 00:10:22 GMT

    Willy,

    I think, in general, love as a concept is too personal to develop any sort
    of philosophy around, at least any philosophical explanation of it. I
    think your first thesis ("love equals quality") is probably the closest
    thing to something Pirsig says. I'm thinking of Pirsig's discussion of
    "care," (from ZMM) particularly as he describes it as the opposite side of
    the coin from Quality: two sides of the same thing.

    Other reflections: I love your second thesis. I think "love is
    imagination" is a wonderful metaphor that would take a long time to mine
    the depths of. I doubt its too SOM, but more to the point, I'm sure the
    metaphor could be redescribed into value-terms, making the metaphor
    commensurate with describing everything as values.

    On your third thesis ("love is like a person's free will; you believe in it
    but it doesn't actually exist"), most followers of Pirsig will throw
    Pirsig's conception of free will (if you follow Dynamic Quality, then you
    are following free will) at you as a rebuttal. For my part, I wouldn't,
    but that's because I don't think the debate on whether free will exists or
    not is one we should take part in. Of course, this has nothing to do with
    the substance of your third thesis. On that, I don't think most people
    here would interpret love as purely biological. In fact, to offer a
    tentative interpretation, I would distinguish between Platonic love and
    sexual love. Sex would be biological and the Platonic side might be
    social, but both would have to be there in some respects for a monogamous
    relationship to fall under what we might term "normal" or "ideal."

    Matt