Re: MD the worst thing about 9/11 according to the MoQ

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 15:34:47 GMT

    On 16 Nov 2004 at 8:36, Ascmjk@aol.com wrote:

    In a message dated 11/15/2004 9:24:54 PM Central Standard Time,
    markheyman@infoproconsulting.com writes:
        Let's set aside for the moment the historical fact that the US most
        certainly has deliberately killed civilians, in Dresden, Nagasaki,
        Hiroshima, Royan in France at the very end of WWII for no military
        reason other than wanting to test Napalm, which would then be used to
        kill more civilians in North and South Vietnam, Laos, illegal and
        secret carpet-bombing of Cambodia... Not to mention financial,
        military, and diplomatic support of Indonesia's genocide in East
        Timor, direct military, financial, and logistical support for death
        squads in El Salvador and Guatemala, direct terrorist strikes against
        the democratically elected government of Nicaragua..... Well, it
        goes on and on, and back to the very beginnings of the country.

    jon:
    Translation: See, the United States is a fundamentally evil,
    murdering nation, all the way back to its very beginning. Anything
    good it has accomplished isinconsequential compared to
    itsoverwhelming contribution to human misery and an unforgivable
    roadblock to ultimate utopia.

    msh says:
    No. Simply a little history lesson. Everything I've said above is
    easily verifiable by anyone interested in so doing. I've never
    denied and often acclaimed the positive accomplishments of the
    citizens of the United States, including securing and maintaining, at
    least till now, an impressive list of personal freedoms. This has
    nothing to due with the humanitarian crimes the U.S. Government
    carries out against citizens of OTHER countries around the world.
    BTW, this behavior is not unique to the U.S. or unique in history.
    Ancient Greece was a country of magnificent freedoms for its citizens
    (not its slaves, of course). Yet it was unspeakably brutal in its
    dealings with non-Greeks. The U.S. just happens to be the biggest
    dog on the block, right now and, as a U.S. citizen, I feel it is my
    MORAL responsibility to speak out against it.

    MSH:
    Instead, let's focus on the first few days and nights of the recent
    US invasion of Iraq, when hundreds of Cruise missiles were fired into
    Baghdad business and government centers and surrounding
    neighborhoods. Conservative estimates put the civilian death toll at
    well over a thousand due to these missile attacks alone. In what
    sense, precisely, is this not intentionally murdering civilians?
    What's the argument? "Well, we didn't tell them to be sleeping
    there, in their homes, at 3am, dammit. They got in the way!"

    JON:
    Again, you prove me fundamental point about intent. You're actually
    suggesting that civilians being killed accidentally is the SAME as
    the civilians who have been beheaded?

    msh:
    No, in the passage above, I am claiming that the killing of civilians
    was NOT accidental. Which means there was intent. Why not address
    the points I actually raise?

    jon:
    Again, INTENT. If you set out to "prove" that killing civilians
    accidentally is the SAME as proudly holding up a severed head, you're
    going to sound increasingly foolish.

    msh:
    I've set out to prove no such thing.

    jon:
    And if civilian killing were actually a goal of the US, wouldn't it
    be a lot easier to simply round up some innocents off the street, and
    execute them?

    msh:
    Killing civilians is not the goal. The USG would have been delighted
    if everyone in Iraq had just packed up and moved. The goal is to
    conquer the geography of Iraq. If intentionally killing civilians
    advances that goal, then so be it.

    MSH:
    Jon, your little essay is nonsense, the rantings of a mind horribly
    brain-washed of historical reality. Sorry. Nothing personal: you
    can probably blame it on your parents, or maybe Rush Limbaugh or
    something, Bill O'Reilly. Or have you been hanging around with my
    friend Platt? Anyway...thanks for the fantasy diversion.

    JON:
    Translation: Obviously, anyone who disagrees with your unspeakably
    powerful logic must be insane. After all, you speak of self-evident
    truths, right?

    msh says:
    Again, the truth of what I've said is verifiable by anyone who wants
    to look into it. As for my crack about insanity, you're right. It
    was uncalled for. But honestly, I was having trouble believing you
    were being serious, so my tone turned a little flip at the end.

    jon:
    Sorry you can't handle the possibility of being wrong about Iraq and
    the United States.

    msh:
    I would be happy to be proved wrong about this. Will you be the one
    to address my evidence and argument? So far, you haven't.

    jon:
    Funny how you can't discuss views that are different from yours
    without A: making personal comments/observations about the mind of
    the posters, or B: telling the posters how they are supposed to
    respond to you.

    msh says:
    Never? If you look back over my many hundreds of posts you'll see
    that this happens very rarely, and only in response to those few
    people who don't address my arguments and evidence, nor advance any
    argument and evidence of their own, yet, somehow, feel that it's ok
    to keep repeating their disputed statements as fact. This is
    promoting propaganda, not debate; and it is is intellectually
    dishonest.

    Thanks,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'