Re: MD Don't Bash Founding Fathers

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 06:42:35 GMT

    Jon,

    It was never about dismissing everything about the "founders", it was about the
    valuable lesson in critical historical thinking that could be made by
    "de-heroifying" them

    Of course, I appreciate Platt's comment that respecting and admiring is part of
    the game, and I never met imply that it isn't. Hell, I admire and respect many
    people.

    The point is to avoid censoring history to eliminate "the humanness" of people
    (like revising Lila to keep Pirsig from geting laid so that all we see is his
    metaphysics). With the founders, such has been the typical K-12 classroom. I've
    had run-ins with the school district here over them deliberating NOT teaching
    that the founders owned slaves. Why? It's a valuable discussion in the
    historical view of slavery.

    At any rate, you are correct. Re-interpretting morality through the veil of
    modern patterns is problematic and misleading. What we should all be for is
    presenting an accurate historical description of people, places and times.
    Well, as accurate as possible, and without deliberate revision.

    Does that fact that Jefferson owned slaves, kept a black mistress and fathered
    children with her, negate his work? No. But it does make it more human,
    interesting and historically meaningful.

    Arlo

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:42:07, Ascmjk@aol.com wrote:

    > You know, people in general were less sensitive than they are now. The
    > founding fathers are generally respected for laying the groundwork for
    America.